Love or Lust? (Marianas Trench)

It was around 2:00 am, technically not Friday anymore, and I was still thinking about Josh. I looked under my bed to where I keep the first gift he ever gave me. I picked up my lockbox, and grabbed my key to it I opened it, and gently removed the object. I looked at the intricate design, and felt the slightly rusted feel to it. It may seem weird that I kept a key all this time. 

The story is, we gave each other old styled keys in Grade one. The one I gave him was a little smaller, and more silver. I don’t know about him, but I still have mine. I wear it around my neck every day, and never let it show though. It’s a little heavy, but I deal with it. 

Grasping it lightly in my hands, I walked over to my window, and looked outside, in the majestic night. I opened the window, and leaned on the sill. The quiet, soft whisper of the warm wind calmed me down. As I was looking around, I saw I blue Volvo drive up my driveway. That was Josh’s car. I quickly put the key back, and ran downstairs as quietly as I could. When I opened the door, I saw Josh standing, with his head down.

"Josh, you know what time it is right?" He nodded. I still couldn’t see his face though. "Are you okay?" He shook his head, and then looked up at me. His eyes were red and puffy, and his lashes were wet. I saw the outline of tears on his cheeks, and he was the picture of sadness. "Oh, honey, what happened?" I lifted his chin, and looked in his eyes. "Come inside." I led him upstairs, and sat him down on my bed. I kneeled on the ground in front of him.

"It’s Sydney." He said barely choking out his words.

"What? What did she do?"

"I...caught her cheating on me. With Zack."

"No. Not the captain of the football team." He nodded. Damn, I always knew she was a horrible person.  I sat up on the bed with him, and he fell into my lap. I held his head, and was stroking his hair. "Oh, Jamsay." That was the nickname I gave him in kindergarten. I couldn’t get his name right, so that’s what I said.

"Right after the game, I went down to see her after her cheer, and I saw her making out with him. She said since he scored the winning touchdown he was more important than I was. Oh, Brooke it just hurts so bad," He sobbed into my lap. I hated seeing him like this. I loved that he came to me in his time of need though.

"I know Josh, but it will get better. I promise you." I was rocking him back and forth.

"I don’t want it to get better. I want it to be better. I just feel so lonely."

"Listen, you will never be alone. I will always be there, I promise, no matter what." I moved his head so I could look at him. "I know there is someone out there right for you. Who makes you laugh, who has the same interests, and loves everything you do. She is the perfect match for you, and likes you for you. You and she will fall into deep love and go on to be married, and have kids. And live happily ever after. If you just open your eyes, you will see she’s been there the whole time."

"Do you really think that?"

"Josh, I know that; for sure." He smiled. I grabbed a tissue, and handed it to him. "Here, now do you want to stay here for the night? Feel free if you want to."

"Well, I’m pretty sure I locked myself out of my house, so this would be pretty awesome." I giggled a little. "I’ll take the couch." He grabbed a blanket from my closet, and jumped on the couch I had in my room. I walked over to him. "I'm really sorry Brooke. I know I should've listened to you. I- I was just blinded by love, and I didn't see anything clearly. I did end up crying back to you, because it was the only place I could go. I never really noticed how much I needed you. So, you can say I told you so."

"Sweetie, that's the last thing on my mind. Now, goodnight Josh." I leaned down, and then kissed him on the cheek.

"Goodnight Brooke. And thank you so much for helping me. I feel a lot better." I smiled.

"What are best friends for?" I walked over to my bed, and climbed in. Since he was staying over, I couldn’t get him off my mind again. I was lying there, gazing at his picture, and finally decided to just put in down, and tried to get some sleep.

The next few days were pretty uneventful. All I knew was I still couldn’t get you-know-who out of my head. I just wished he would see he belonged with me. 

Since it was now Saturday, I decided it was time to tell him how much I really loved him. Thinking of the idea of telling him, made me smile. I was really getting excited.

I put on my best dress. It was a little above knee length, and pinnk with a brown belt that wrapped around my waist. This dress always looked the best on me. I put on my makeup, and brushed out my hair. I then grabbed it all and put it in a nice oriental-ish up-do. I already did my nails, and made sure they were perfect; White with pink sparkles.

I was about to leave, when I almost forgot something. My key. I ran to my lockbox, opened it, and wore it around my neck. I smiled as I looked at myself in the mirror, and knew I was ready. Right before graduation and before our lives really start. This will be the day I confess my love for Joshua Ramsay. My best friend since we were four. 13 years!

Confidently, I walked down the stairs and grabbed my bag. I checked in the mirror one last time to make sure my make up was perfect, and I went out the door.

I drove another five minutes until I got to his house, and I felt this time would go a lot smoother than the last time. I knew his parents were gone, and I wanted to surprise him, so I snuck in the house. His mom left the door open for me.

I crept down the stairs as quiet as I could, and once again gathered up all my courage, because as I neared the door I started to lose it.

Now, was the moment of truth. It was now the moment that I had dreamed about for the last 8 years. Would he love me back, or let me down easy? Either way, it would be out there. 

I breathed in deeply, and turned the doorknob to his room. And what I saw on the other side was something that shocked me. I couldn't believe what laid before my eyes.

***Authors Note***

Okay, yeah, dick move there. I hate it when people do that to me too, but I needed some type of cliffhanger! But don't worry, you won't have to wait long, next chapter out soon!