8. The Dust Devil

8. THE DUST DEVIL

At breakfast the next morning, Viridis couldn't help noticing the remaining candidates paid more attention to him now. A few of them even struck up conversations with him, although these exchanges seemed to be more about learning what sort of competition he might be than friendly banter. Still, it was nice to talk to someone other than Dawn or Cory.

Cory arrived a few minutes later wearing a surprisingly traditional dark pair of pants and short brown cloak.

"Trying to dress more like a proper headmaster?" Viridis asked.

Cory frowned. "All my regular clothes are in the wash." He pulled a bright orange and pink polka dot clip-on tie from his pocket and fastened it to his collar.

When breakfast was over, Blunt marched up to Viridis, dragging one of the judges along with him.

"This is the one," he said, pointing at Viridis. "I want him disqualified."

"On what grounds?" the judge asked.

"Cheating."

Viridis spun on Blunt. "What? When did I cheat?"

"Two days ago," Blunt said. "He tried to prevent me from boarding the Hogwarts Express. An obvious attempt to keep me out of the competition. I demand he be removed immediately."

"That's not true," Viridis said, glaring at Blunt. "There was a... misunderstanding."

The judge rolled his eyes. "I don't care. I have no jurisdiction over matters that occur outside the competition itself. Has he done anything improper since he arrived at the castle?"

"He impersonated a ministry employee," Blunt said. "I have witnesses who will testify that he claimed to work at the ministry. Being a ministry official myself, I can attest that this is a lie."

"That was my handiwork," Cory said, looking rather proud of himself. "Viridis had nothing to do with it."

"You're covering for him," Blunt scowled. "I want them both disqualified."

"It still doesn't matter," the judge said in a weary voice. "There's nothing in the rules against exaggerating in public."

"Are you serious?" Blunt sputtered. His face turned an angry shade of red. "Pretending to be a ministry official isn't grounds for dismissal? This competition is a joke." He stormed off.

The test that morning was held in the same circular room as before, although the room had once again moved to another corner of the castle. The number of spectators in the stands had grown to fifty and the scent of garlic permeated the room. The small blue tents had been replaced with one large tent composed of a silky purple fabric. A small windowless wooden hut stood off to one side, its door guarded by one of the judges. Pussmaid led the candidates past the hut and inside the tent. Except for a dozen or so chairs, the enclosure was empty.

"This next test will be a one-on-one competition to measure your ability to perform under pressure," she announced.

"What kind of pressure?" asked one of the wizards.

"You'll find out soon enough." Pussmaid replied, her expression impassive as usual.

They drew lots to determine opponents. Viridis hoped he'd be matched up with Blunt, wanting to be the one to knock him out of the competition, but to his dismay he found himself paired against Feathergill in the eighth and final match. Feathergill eyed Viridis for a few seconds, as if taking his measure, then harrumphed and sat down to read his morning paper.