michelle

shooting up, she breathed heavily. another nightmare had made it's way into her slumber and she hated the fact she now had no one to protect her from them. he always used to hold her on nights like these and assure her that as long as he was there, she was safe.

she knew she couldn't blame him for not being there now, as she was the one who walked away from him, but in her defense, he made no effort to make her stay. he had watched her walk away that day; he had let her walk away.

deciding there was no way she'd be getting back to sleep now, she slid her phone off the bedside table and turned it on, sighing at the fact it was only 3 AM. scrolling through her notifications, which were mainly twitter, her breath hitched slightly at the sight of a missed call and voicemail. she had deleted his contact, but she'd remember that number anywhere.

holding her breath, she pressed play and allowed his familiar voice to fill her ears. his words were slurred, his voice hoarse, but everything he said rang clearly in her head.

she'd be lying if she said that she hadn't missed him like crazy as well, but the thought of him hurt her more than it helped. his once comforting blue eyes now reminded her of ice, bearing nothing but coldness. despite the fact she wanted nothing more to just fall back in his arms, they were no longer as strong to her as they'd once been. since the day he tore everything they had together to shreds and then just let her walk away, it seemed as though she barely knew him.

the luke she knew would've fought for her.

she quickly locked her phone and put it back on her nightstand, turning away and squeezing her eyes shut. her hands had begun to shake and she could hear her heart pounding in her chest. it was obvious a panic attack was coming on, her breathing now intensifying.

this wasn't the first panic attack she'd ever experienced, however this was the first one she'd been alone for in a very long time. and it didn't help that the one person that used to calm her down was now the reason behind it's happening.

she was now full on hyperventilating. her breath had begun to feel cold and she knew that if she didn't calm down fast, she would pass out and that was the last thing she needed.

as quickly as she could, she reached for her phone and blindly dialed the one person she could think of. he answered after three rings, tiredness clear in his voice.

"chelle? it's nearly four in the morning. do you need something?"

"ashton i need you to come now," she croaked out, tears now spilling down her face. "i can't do this."

there was a short silence on the other line which only encouraged more quiet sobs to leave her mouth. she felt silly for thinking he'd come. i mean, why would he? she was his best mates ex girlfriend, and despite the fact they'd had a friendship before her and luke began dating, she felt stupid to think it had carried on past luke and her relationship.

"i'll be there," he finally said quietly, shocking her. "give me fifteen minutes."