Lost Things and T.W.

They'd met before. Only a handful of times did they see each other and usually the visits were not as consistent, but they knew each other well enough, I think. I think he fell in love with her precocious nature and easy-going charm just as I did when he first met her, intrigued by the wisdom in her grey-blue eyes. I've no doubt she was enchanted by him as well, she told me as much after Tom had left. To her, Tom was 'T.W.', and Liv was his 'Princess'. I don't think I knew what I was doing when I got those two together.

Not by a long shot.

Tom's goofy exterior usually offset Liv's demeanor whenever she was in one of her melancholy moods. He would always know what to say or do, which buttons to press just so she would laugh. And I was very grateful for that. He was light hearted, carefree almost, something that I would probably never be.

Tom had been a dear friend of mine for awhile, but he was the only friend of mine that had ever connected with Liv. He visited when I wasn't there, popping in on her and Sharon just to make sure everything was alright. He'd stay for a few days before leaving again, promising to come back and visit again. He kept his promises.

He'd not disappointed her once.

I can still remember the last time her saw her before the cancer got really bad. It was her just after her fifteenth birthday. Almost a year ago.

Tom had recently scored a few precious months off, his schedule just as--if not, more--hectic than mine. He was in between projects, and after his break he would begin filming abroad for a new project he had coming up. He'd asked where I had been for the past few weeks I told him where I was. With Liv.

He was on the next plane to Wales that afternoon.

"Don't tell her I'm coming." He pleaded, and I could hear the grin on his face. He was on his way to the cottage from the airport.

I had frowned, hesitant. "She doesn't like surprises, you know that!"

Tom gave a heartfelt chuckle. "She likes me, so I'm sure she'll like this surprise, Ben."

I had looked over to Liv who was reading a book in the field, lying flat on her back, her hands holding the book a few inches from her face. I smiled.

"We're going to that corner theatre uptown soon; Olivia wanted to see one of the plays, so I'm taking her. The show starts at seven, maybe you can meet us there."

"Brilliant! I'll get there as soon as I can!"

I had hung up with a smirk, calling to Olivia to come get dressed.

I should've known Tom would be late for the play.

~

"Sharon, come on, it's about to start." I urged, pulling her along, trying to control the mounting frustration in my voice.

Sharon's eyes were wet with tears as she struggled against me, forcing me to drag her. I looked to Olivia who was trying to ignore the people who had started to stare at our strange little trio.

Liv, who I was convinced was still upset with me for bringing Sharon along during one of her 'moods', would not even look at her aunt, her eyes straight ahead, her jaw clenching silently.

"I've lost it." Sharon kept saying, her repetitive mantra. I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to calm myself down.

"Ben!" Olivia cried. She was now few paces ahead of us, an agitated look on her face. "We're not going to get to our seats on time if you two don't hurry!"