The Amazing Rat Race

Lindsey's POV

I was at school with Phoebe and Cherry and we were selling tickets for the school dance. Phoebe was able to get DJ Astronaut to perform at the dance and I was so excited about it.

"And here's your ticket." Cherry was just giving out tickets without charging anyone. "And your ticket. And your- wait am I supposed to be charging people?"

She paused and turned to us puzzled.

I shrugged and Phoebe got an alert on her phone.

"Oh no." Phoebe gasped and I looked at her phone worried.

Cherry took off her shoe and stood up. "Don't worry, I'll get their money."

"Noo." Phoebe and I stopped her from beating a kid up and made her sit down.

"No. I just got an email from DJ Astronaut." Phoebe told us and she read the email. "Dear mission control, I'm too sick to lift off so I won't be able to rock it tonight.' Just cause you use cute Astronaut language, doesn't make it better."

"What are we gonna do? The dance is ruined!" Cherry exclaimed loud enough for everyone to hear and they began to whisper.

"What? The dance is ruined?" A few students asked in agony.

"Uh, she's joking." I stood up and gave them a nervous grin.

Phoebe followed in pursuit. "Yeah, the dance is not ruined. It's... it's gonna be off the chain. And the hook and even the handle. It's gonna be off all the things."

Phoebe sighed and pulled the both of us away from the table.

"Guys, this is the biggest dance of the year. If people find out I messed up the music, they'll never forgive me." Phoebe explained and Cherry removed her shoe again.

"I'll make them forgive you." Cherry threatened, glaring at passing students.

Phoebe and I sighed at her threats and I stopped her.

"Okay. You can't keep solving problems with your shoes." I informed my blonde friend.

"Wait. I think I just figured out a way to save the dance." Phoebe suddenly said looking near the entrance. I saw Max and his bandmates walking in and my face lit up at the sight of my boyfriend.

"Linds, is there any way you can convince Max and his band to perform at the dance tonight?" Phoebe asked me and I looked at my best friend.

"Sure." I shrugged and she gave me a weird look along with Cherry.

"Wait really?" She asked and I nodded my head slowly.

"Yes."

She seemed confused but shrugged it off before I went up to the boys.

"Hey, Max!" I called and he turned to me. Max smiled at the sight of me. "How would you and your band like to play the dance tonight?"

"Uh, yes." Max agreed and I formed a smile at his answer.

"Well, there's no pay." Phoebe suddenly asked, coming up to us.

"Yes," Max said.

"And you'll have to time to rehearse," Phoebe added and I rolled my eyes.

"What part of 'yes' don't you understand?" Max asked his sister.

"Sweetches. This will get us out of playing at Gideon's mom's gas station." Oyster smiled.

"Yeah. She was gonna pay us in gas and tire rotations." Angus informed.

"Sorry, Gideon, but I'd much rather play for teenage girls than truck drivers," Max told Gideon.