Great Blue Yonder

The Professor ran outside to where the kidnapper had escaped with Luke. He came to the alley behind the clock shop. There was no trace of his dear apprentice save for his hat, which lie neglected on the pavement. The Professor picked up the hat and held it to his chest. He stood there for a moment, hugging the blue cap as if it were a loved one. He then started to the Laytonmobile. 

He got to Scotland Yard where he filed a kidnapping report. Inspector Chelmy asked all sorts of questions. Chelmy and Barton then left to investigate the scene of the crime.  Layton followed close behind, now he could get a closer look at any clues. As Chelmy and Barton investigated the interior of the clock shop, Layton examined the alley. Even here it looked like there was a struggle. The dirt had been kicked up. There came a point where Luke must have stopped struggling as he was dragged off as the dirt was undisturbed. There he found a discarded rag lying on the ground. He picked it up and cautiously sniffed it, the chloroform made him a bit dizzy. This must have been why he struggled as he was dragged off, the kidnapper was waiting for the chloroform to take effect. Layton examined the cloth, it was a fine handkerchief with bits of lace, obviously belonging to someone of high status. A monogram was stitched into the cloth, a white bird that Layton recognized as the symbol of the Dove household. 

The next thing Luke knew he was walking up in a bedroom. It was a child's bedroom. There was a small toy chest and a model train set and the walls were an olive green. Despite it's homey appearance the room looked eerily untouched. A strange woman walked in the room. She looked elated to see him. She had messy brown hair that was graying and wore a white apron with several stains in it. She was motherly yet unsettling. Luke scooted across the bed as the woman came closer, trying to distance himself from the stranger. The woman frowned, "Sweetie? Don't you remember me? Don't you remember your mother?"

Brenda Triton sat by the telephone waiting for it to ring. Inspector Chelmy had instructed her and Clark to await a ransom note. Clark was pacing in the living room in front of her. Brenda sat on the couch as close as she could get to the phone without actually sitting on it. She checked the time it had been almost a day since Luke had been taken, there should be some kind of ransom by now. The Tritons nearly jumped out of their skins when the phone rang. Brenda quickly picked up and put the caller on speaker. It was inspector Chelmy calling to tell them that the kidnapper may intend to keep Luke, because most people would have sent out a ransom note by now. Brenda hung up and Clark looked about ready to fall apart. "I can't do this again. I can't do it. When Descole took you, and threatened Luke.... he was so close to hurting one of you." Brenda got up and hugged her husband, she pulled back and cupped his cheeks, making Clark look her in the eyes. "Honey we have gone through worse, we can do this. We are finding our baby. We are getting our baby back."