Chapter 11 : home is behind and the world is ahead

Start from the beginning

"Give him a pony." He growled, before kicking his pony on with out waiting. I quickly followed behind, awear of Master Baggins frantic voice.

"No, no, no, no, that--that won't be necessary, thank you, but I--I'm sure I can keep up on foot, just like...Luka. I-- I--I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I even got as far as Frogmorton once--WAGH!" I glanced back to see Fili and Kili pull bilbo up onto a rather muddy pony. I laughed quietly at the terrified look on Bilbos face as the pony whinnied and tossed its head.

"Come on, Nori, pay up. Go on." Oin laughed, catching my attention. I laughed at the look on Noris face. He scowled, before tossing me a sack of money. I caught it with ease, and threw it into my bag. Money sacks went flying left and right, as those who bet for, won, and those who bet against, lost. I smiled softly as the dwarves erupted In to laughter, their high spirits becoming slightly contagious. We plodded on for a few more minuets, the dwarves exchanging small talk whilst Thorin and I walked at the front, with stoney faces.

"No, no, wait, wait, stop! Stop! We have to turn around." Master Baggins suddenly cried, making the entire company come to a stop.

"What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asked, a bushy old eye brow raised.

"I forgot my handkerchief." Bilbo gasped, as if it was the end of the world. Bofur tore of a strip of cloth from his clothing and tossed it to bilbo.

"Here! Use this." Bofur laughed, cheerful as always. I shook my head as bilbo caught the rag and gave it a look of disgust.

"Move on!" Thorin snapped.

The dwarves laughed and began to continue on. I waited until I was beside Master Baggins, taking out my crisp white handkerchief and placing it in Bilbos hand.

"Here, use that. You can keep it" I softly spoke, before jogging back up to the front beside Thorin. Even now the beast pushed for us to stay close.

"You'll have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs and a good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you; the world is ahead." Gandalf tolled Master Baggins, though his voice traveled to all of us.

We continued through the wood, the ponies trotting on obediently as I ran beside them. Every now and then, they'd speed up, Thorin glancing back to test if I was still keeping up. I was pleased to say I kept up with ease.

We traveled until night fall, where we set up camp for the first night near a stream. The sound of bubbling water was calming and soothing as the dwarves talked and laughed around the fire. I sat well away from the company, but close enough to keep an eye on Thorin. Unlike the others, he would only smile softly on occasion, but for the most part he sat looking at the key in his hand.

Bilbo sat between Kili and Bofur, looking extremely uncomfortable as he was shoved from side to side as the pup and Bofur laughed and joked. Bombur sat beside Bifur, preparing dinner over a steaming pot. My mouth watered every time I saw the raw meat he was cutting up, but each time I would tell myself off.

I needed to separate myself from the beast.

To distract myself, I decided to fletch some new arrow heads. Every so often, I would hear the dwarves sharing tales while the food cooked over the fire. Gandalf and Balin seemed to have the most tales, being the oldest, and Balin drew every one in as he spoke. The pups eyes were big and curious as they listened to the old dwarf, making me smile.

"What about you, miss Luka?" Bofur called over at me, drawing the attention of the whole company. I tensed, hastily carving at the forming arrow head.