I. Grandma's House

Scarlet sat there, staring at the wall as her mother smiled weakly while her father held his usual stoned face. Inside the large mansion, there wasn't a single sound except the tiny crackling of the burning wood inside the chimney.

Scarlet removed her hands from the marble table. "We're drug dealers?!"

She couldn't understand how a dessert empire is an underground drug empire.

Scarlet's father cleared his throat. "Your mother and I thought it was time to come clean with you; after all, you will take over the family business one day."

"Grandma's Bakery is a cover for dealing drugs?!" Scarlet repeated the same question for the next ten minutes, unable to say anything else. For some unknown reason, she feels that if she repeats it enough, they will change their response.

Scarlet's mother sighed, then placed her hand on top of Scarlet. "Sweetheart, I understand this is a lot to take in. I was in your shoes once when your father told me."

Scarlet removed her hand and stood up. "That's not the same! You married a drug dealer! You choose this mom. I didn't choose to become the heiress of a drug-dealing empire."

Scarlet's father sighed, "When you're grandma-"

"Grandma knows about this?!" Scarlet shouted, throwing two hands in the air, then looked around the room. "Do all of our family members know this except me?"

Her father and mother exchanged looks.

At that moment, Scarlet received her answer. Quickly, she dashed out of the room and up the staircase with her mother calling after her. Scarlet slammed her bedroom door shut and looked around the room.

Everything feels dirty to her.

From the shoes hidden in the closet to her queen-size bed. Everything was bought using dirty money. Scarlet wouldn't call herself a saint, but she had morals, and taking over a drug dealing corporation is against her morals.

Scarlet slid down the door and curled herself into a ball.

Soon, a knock on the door caught her attention, "Go away."

"Please, Scarlet."

Scarlet whimpers lightly.

"Please."

Scarlet had never burst out against her parents as she did earlier. She never had to do it. They've always listened to her needs and thoroughly talked to her without treating her like a child.

She got up and opened the door to her mother's weak smile, "Sweetheart, why don't you go to grandma's house. It can help you clear your thoughts," she released a deep breath. "It's probably better than staying here."

Scarlet wanted to scream, but she was out of energy. She doesn't understand how people do it, constantly going against their parents - it's tiring. She remembers how her friends would talk about their fights with their parents and how there was something to go against every day. Scarlet wasn't like that. She thought it was because she was born weak, and fights only drain her batteries faster.

Scarlet nodded, "We really aren't a corporation that brings diabetes to everyone?" It's not that she didn't hear the confirmation the first time, but she can't help but wish her mother would change her answer.

Scarlet's mother nodded, "We kill people with a different method," she tried to joke.

Scarlet frowns deepen.

"Too soon?"

Scarlet nods.

On the same day, Scarlet had her suitcase packed. There wasn't much for her to take; everything felt tainted.