one

I believed the universe was on my side.

Though saying that after snogging a guy whom I couldn't remember even if it killed me at Shiloh's New Year's party was a bit of an exaggeration, saying that after finding out that Louis was looking for a new roommate wasn't. As well as finding out that he had recently gotten out of his four years relationship with Beth.

From what I had gathered, they broke up about three weeks ago and only during new year did they finally decide to make it public. They didn't announce it, no, but Beth unfollowed Louis on Instagram, deleted all of their pictures together and didn't show up at Shiloh's party with Louis like she usually did to any other party. Those were more than enough for people – me, particularly – to figure out what went down between those two. Besides, they were hardly seen together anymore.

And as much as I wished I could say that I felt bad about their separation, I couldn't.

In fact, when I found out about their split, I was overjoyed. Which was totally wrong because no one in her right mind would be thrilled upon hearing that someone was going through a tough time. I knew for a fact that if I were going through a breakup, I wouldn't want anyone to be happy; I wanted everyone to be sad as well.

Granted, when I heard that Louis was looking for a new flatmate to replace Beth, I was, once again, overjoyed.

Long ago, I had accepted the fact that I would never get to be with Louis. Whenever I saw him, Beth would always be by his side. I had grown to believe that they were a package; if you wanted to hang out with Louis, you would have to hang out with Beth too. I had also believed that perhaps one day when we're all graduated, those two would be the first ones to get married. So, I kept my feelings for him to myself, certain that there was no way in hell he would be mine.

Not even in my wildest dreams.

But now with Beth out of the equation and with one room in his flat opened for someone, came an opportunity for me to finally get a taste of the forbidden apple, which I didn't hesitate to grab.

"I've never seen you smile so much," Shiloh mentioned, a smirk evident on her lips when she caught me smiling at the living room ahead of me.

Louis had told me earlier that he wouldn't be around for when I moved in and had decided to leave the key under the mat outside his flat. Though I was itching to tell him that it wasn't safe to put the key there, he sounded like he was in a hurry, so I told him that I would see him later. Which had woken up the butterflies in my stomach when he told me that yes, he would see me later too.

"'m happy, is all," I said with a shrug, taking one more box from her hand and putting it down on the floor. "Thank you."

"S'fine," Shiloh waved her hands around as she walked towards the couch and flopped herself down. A sigh escaped her lips – probably from how comfortable the couch was – before she opened her mouth and asked, "Hey, what did you tell Nina?"

Nina was my ex-flatmate whom I had lied to before coming here. Instead of telling her that I was going to move in to Louis' place, I told her that I was moving in with Shiloh who had an extra room in her flat. She was sceptical at first, wondering why would I want to move out all of sudden and why would Shiloh suddenly want a roommate when all these while she'd been living by herself. Safe to say, it took me almost a day to convince her that I wasn't lying to her when I was, in reality, lying through my gritted teeth.

"Told her I'm moving in with you," I answered, taking up the space beside Shiloh.

Jaw hanging, her brown eyes widened, "Why do you have to get me involved?"