A Most Important Mission

Disclaimer: This story utilises characters, situations and premises that are copyright Masashi Kishimoto, Shueisha, Shonen Jump and Viz media. No infringement on their respective copyrights pertaining to episodes, novelisations, comics or short stories is intended by KuriQuinn in any way, shape or form. This fan-oriented story is written solely for the author's own amusement and the entertainment of the readers. It is not for profit. Any resemblance to real organizations, institutions, products or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

All plot and Original Characters except for those introduced in the canon books, manga, video games, novelizations and anime, are the sole creation of KuriQuinn. (© KuriQuinn 2016- )

Canon-Compliance: Takes place during the Blank Period.

_____

Sasuke arrives home from his mission to Suna just as the sun is going down. He exchanges nods with Izumo and Kotetsu (they no longer startle at the sight of him calmly walking through the doors to the town) and heads straight for his house. He's already sent the mission report ahead to Kakashi before arriving, and can undergo debriefing tomorrow; for now, he just wants to see Sakura and Sarada.

Although Sasuke now has strong ties to Konoha, the part of him that will always crave the vagabond lifestyle can't be quieted. He remains here and calls this place his home because it is the place his brother died to protect and where his family now lives.

But every so often he gets restless.

Whenever Sasuke's wanderlust becomes too great, he approaches Kakashi with a request for a mission disguised as a pressing need to investigate some impending danger or another. This way, he doesn't feel too much like he is abandoning his wife and child for his own selfish purposes.

Sakura isn't completely happy with it, but she also knows and accepts that he will never be a homebody. She packs him lunches when he goes, and promises to see him when he returns with only the slightest tension in her voice. He knows that whenever she watches his retreating back; she is likely thinking of that night almost ten years ago. It's why he never accepts missions that are longer than a few days.

He's not sure how much longer he'll be able to do that, however.

Sasuke has long been suspicious that the incident with Kaguya was not the end, and he's been cultivating a network of contacts to keep listening for information. The job is important, and he's not sure how much longer he can put off not doing it himself—especially if the trail leads beyond this dimension.

It's a discussion he has been putting off for a while now.

Upon reaching the house, he is surprised to find that all is quiet; that's odd for this time of night, as usually Sakura is starting or finishing up dinner. While he puts his cloak away, he wonders if perhaps she is working late and Sarada is at her grandparents' this evening.

Sasuke dismisses this thought outright as he hears the sound of movement in the living room.

Leaving the entrance, he pauses in beneath the archway of the living room for a moment, a smile creeping onto his face at the unexpected display.

Sakura is lying on the couch, passed out with an arm thrown over her eyes, mouth open and snoring. There are toys strewn across the floor, as well as baby books, a blanket and even a medical scroll or two. Sakura sometimes reads those to Sarada when her brain can't take the repetitive children's books anymore. Meanwhile, Sarada is sitting up in her playpen, quietly mumbling in an infant's half-gibberish, half-speech. She appears to be having a conversation with Sasuke's old green dinosaur plush toy.