Chp 16 : A Cursed Gift

Nothing scared Remus Lupin more than killing someone or worse turning someone when he's out of control. Turning someone into something like himself. A beast. A monster. A werewolf. A frightened soul. A tortured little child.

He followed the short, petite girl, who happens to be his best mate's long lost sister, out of the Great Hall, leaving the gossip filled room to their wild curiosity. Who knows what absurd rumor was spreading after they left?

A half eaten chicken leg was between the girl's teeth as they walk along the long, empty corridors. This girl also happens to be the same girl he almost mauled a few nights ago. The same one who nursed him back to health after the dreadful event. The same one who he witnessed bleeding to death from a wound he himself made.

Remus kept quiet. He wanted to apologize and beg for forgiveness but no sound came out. He was led to an empty classroom by the black haired girl who casts 'Muffliato' after the door closed behind him.

Polaris Black smiled. "So, that no one could hear us talk," she explained. She vanished her remains from the chicken and sat on a table by the front row of the classroom.

She patted the space by her side and Remus walked towards her cautiously. As he sat down, she re-positioned herself to face him. The Gryffindor gulped.

"It's okay, Remus," Polly said with furrowed brows. She noticed his discomfort the second he sat down. "I'm not mad at you."

"Y-you're not?" Remus said in disbelief. His lips quivered. Either of relief or of fright, Polly couldn't read. She shook her head.

The girl reach to comfort the older boy but he shrunk away before she could do so. "You're not scared of me?" he asked, tears building up in his eyes. He looked at her with so much emotion, Polly wanted to cry herself.

"I already told you I'm not, Remus. You're the sweetest, smartest, most passionate boy I know. You're also a mischievous prankster," she grinned at him, "And, overall, you don't frighten me." He looked at her with a weird expression. "In a good way," she added quickly.

"I mean, I'd be terrified to have a prank war with you," she continued with a chuckled, "who knows what colored robes I'd be wearing by the end of the day."

Remus chuckled softly as well. "Oh, I'm sure I'd attack your hair first."

Polly gasped dramatically. "Not the hair!" she exclaimed tugging at her own dark locks. "You must never, ever, mess with the hair of a Black. Well... unless if it's Sirius' or Regulus', then by all means."

The werewolf let out a hearty laugh and the elemental followed suit. It was a lovely moment. Unfortunately, it ended too soon when she groaned in pain and clutched her own stomach.

Remus' eyes widened in panic. 'This is my fault. I did this. I'm a monster,' he said to himself. He was afraid to reach out to her thinking she would only push him away.

Polly breathed out one last deep sigh and looked up at the concerned boy. "I'm okay."

"I'm so sorry, Polaris. This is my fault," he gestured to her. He stood up and started pacing in front of her. "This is all my fault. By being alive, I only endanger everyone around me. Especially, those who I love. I could have killed you that night. I could have-"

"But you didn't," Polly interrupted. She stood up slowly as to not disturb her wounds. "You veered back, remember? You could have taken my life but you back away at the last second." She reached for his shaking hands. "For a split second, you had the wolf under control," she whispered encouragingly.

"No," Remus shook his head in disagreement. "No, I... I don't remember that part but it's- it's probably because the full moon was ending. It was lucky timing." He pulled away, "I could never control the beast inside me."