Chapter 22; Coming Home

ابدأ من البداية

I walk in to find Betty and Alice already milling about the office,
"One down one more to go." Alice says when I walk in.
"Everything okay?"
"Everything is fine dear, just waiting on Veronica." Alice says in her usually overly cheery voice. I look to Betty who just shrugs. After a few more minutes Veronica comes strutting into the room.
"Oh, finally, close that door." Alice points at Veronica. I jump up to sit on one of the desks prepared for some motherly talk about waiting or some shit with Homecoming coming up. "Ladies, I need you to look around the room. Whoever is not in this room is on the table as a possible murder suspect... including those Pussycats." I roll my eyes.
"Oh, my God, Mom..." Betty sighs. Alice looks at Veronica.
"Now, let's talk about your father."
"He has an epic grudge against the Blossoms, so yes. It's totally within the realm of possibility that he hired someone from jail to kill Jason." Veronica looks over at me "Maybe Jughead's dad."
"NO, you stop right their. Jughead just got his father back I'm not going to let you slander his name. Just because he is a serpent." I hop off the desk, my blood boiling.
"My dad paid Jughead's dad to trash the drive-in. Maybe he paid him to--"
"Commit murder." Alice speaks up.
"Like you're one to talk Alice, he maybe a Serpent but that doesn't make him a killer."
"For all we know, that gay Greaser Serpent is an accomplice."
"You leave Joaquin out of this revenge skeem Alice! Attack FP all you want but you go after one of my teen Serpents again..."
"Yours?" Betty looks at me with wide eyes.
"My mother was a higher up in the Serpents before she passed... They are my family and friends."
"But mom, where are you even getting all of this? Cause you saw FP and Joaquin talking?"
"It didn't look like they were talking. It looked like they were conspiring."
"And what the hell do you call this Alice?"
"I'm siding with Kat on this. FP had nothing to do with Jason's murder."
"We need to make sure, 100%"
"I've asked Jughead, point blank if he thought his dad had anything to do with Jason's murder. He said no. One and done, Alice."
"Kat, Betty. You are too close to this."
"I'm not going to insult or betray him by entertaining this." I am pressed up against the desk. "And Ms. New York..." I turn around looking at Veronica who has been quiet practically this whole time "If I find out you went along with this I will personally make sure you never feel safe again."
"Kathleen that is inappropriate!"
"Oh come on Alice." I whip back to her "What is inappropriate is your sudden hatred for all things southside." I look her up and down with disgust before slamming out of the room.

Later I come running to a lunch table outside, I slide in next to Jughead. Betty sitting on his opposite side. My phone buzzes in my pocket.
B- Don't say anything to him...
Me- Why does it help you sleep at night?
B- Pls Kat for once listen to me.
Me-oh like you did about the party? I'm not going to tell him, but if I get suspicious of your mom or Ronnie I will.
I look around Jug to see Betty nodding silently.
"Where have you been?"
"Webberly wanted me taking pictures of the gym before all of the decorations go up, during the process, and after its complete. He has excused me from all of my classes because of it." I roll my eyes, sliding my lunch tray towards Jug. He smiles kissing me on the cheek before picking at the food on my plate.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I have an announcement to make. One that tangentially involves you, Betty. I'm bringing Polly to the dance as my date, and we're campaigning as co-queens of Homecoming Court." Cheryl is standing behind us.
"Why?" I mumble
"Because, nightmare smurfette, by all rights, it should've been Polly and Jason on that stage being crowned. This is the next best thing. So... Don't forget to vote, and I'll see everyone at my coronation!" I roll my eyes turning back around to the conversation.
"Betty, about the Homecoming Dance, can I play a couple songs? I kinda told my mom that..." Betty's face changes "Whoa, you don't want me to?"
"No, no it's not that, Archie, it's just um...this dance needs to be fun. And your songs, as amazing as they are..."
"They are depressing as shit." I say through a mouth full of fries. The group looks at me with wide eyes. "What? No one else was going to be honest with him. They are beautiful songs but they hit you in your feels. Which is understandable seeing as where they are based. Hot damn get off my ass." I hold my hands up in surrender.
"She's not wrong Arch."
"Its okay guys, Archie asked me to sing with him and we are thinking about doing some upbeat covers." Ronnie speaks up
"We are?" Archie looks at her confused.
"Aren't we?" She looks back. I glare at her across the table. Lunch ended shortly after that. I grabbed Kevin's arm pulling him aside.