(Hanahaki Disease au) Rantaro Amami x reader: Will Love Bloom, or Wilt?

Start from the beginning

A week and a couple of days passed. (y/n) and Rantaro hang out a lot during that time frame. (y/n) went to the Adventure Club and everyone went hiking. They would talk to each other a lot. They even started to sit next to each other during lunch. (y/n) was hopeful that she could have a chance, but Rantaro never showed any hints of falling for her.

It was Monday, and (y/n) got ready for school. While she was getting ready, (y/n)'s throat started to burn. Her lungs started to ache. The pain was even more immense than before. She started coughing hysterically, petals spewing out of her mouth. The amount of petals she coughed up increased since the last couple of weeks. Not only that, but the petals were different as well. They were no longer White Gardenias. The petals were that of a Purple Iris. (y/n) grabbed her chest, her breathing being labored. She started choking slightly, coughing up even more. She was coughing so hard that she threw up. Most of what was in it was the petals of an Iris. Her throat felt like it was being scratched from the inside out. Her lungs felt heavier. The more heavier her lungs felt, the more painful it was for her. She had to hide it. She had to hide it from her friends.... her family.... Rantaro.....
(y/n)'s coughing fit lasted about fifteen minutes. That was exceedingly longer than the ones from before. Those lasted about five minutes. (y/n) was getting worse, and she knew she was as well. When she got past her coughing fit, she went to school like normal. Her walking was a bit slower because of all of the energy used for the coughing fit. Once she got to school, she was almost immediately greeted by Rantaro.
"(y/n), good morning," Rantaro greeted.
"Good morning," (y/n) replied in a bit of a weaker voice than normal.
"How was your weekend? Rantaro responded.
"It was fine," (y/n) replied, "I found out that my parents are going to be going on a trip for a week in a couple of weeks."
"That sounds a bit lonesome," Rantaro muttered.
(y/n) smiled lightly and shrugged the thought off. Her parents occasionally took trips just to get away from the house. They didn't exactly have enough money to take (y/n) along, but she understood and never complained.
"It's ok. I deal with this occasionally. I'm used to it," (y/n) told him.
The bell then once again rang, signifying that class is going to start soon. Rantaro and (y/n) parted ways. (y/n) ran into the bathroom and started to cough hysterically again. The pain was even worse than before. She could feel the plant growing inside of her. She puked up the purple Iris petals for a good ten minutes. Once she was done, she left the bathroom and went to get a pass from the office. (y/n) then went to her classes as normal.
Lunchtime soon rolled around and (y/n) got her food and went to meet up with Rantaro. He was sitting with Shuichi once again. (y/n) smiled and took her seat.
"How was class so far?" Rantaro asked.
"It was boring. It's very hard to focus. I'd rather be outside adventuring," (y/n) replied.
"I agree. I don't get the point of being stuck inside of this school. We should have more freedom," Rantaro explained.
"That I agree with," (y/n) replied.

Rantaro and (y/n) chatted and ate. Rantaro couldn't tell if it was his imagination, but the way (y/n) acted was quite cute. He loved how she dressed every morning. He liked how she doesn't give up on anything. He wanted to get even closer as friends. The chatter made lunch go by quickly. The rest of the day went by quickly and (y/n) went to the Adventure Club once more.
With the same routine, two weeks went by like flying colors. The friendship Rantaro and (y/n) got very deep. (y/n)'s parents were on their trip and (y/n) was left home alone. (y/n) got ready for school once again. She suddenly felt a gigantic pain in her chest and throat. She started coughing really badly. Something bigger was coming out of her throat. Her throat stung as if lemon juice was poured down there with many cuts. Something landed into her hand. Once she opened her eyes, they widened. There were pink rose petals in her hand, with drops of bubblegum pink blood staining them. She felt something more come up. She felt her throat get more cut up, her lungs even heavier. She let out a screeching cry in pain as more rose petals flew out of her mouth. The wheezing and hacking got worse. It lasted for over twenty five minutes.
(y/n) staggered to school, being significantly weak from the coughing fit. She tried to put a smile on her face. Her smile was forced. She was greeted by Rantaro at school.
"Good morning. Can I ask you something?" Rantaro asks.
"Yeah sure, what's up?" (y/n) asked in response.
"Would you like to come over on Wednesday. I know it's Monday, but no one will be home Wednesday," Rantaro explained.
"I'd love to come over, I can't wait," (y/n) replied.
(y/n) was getting in worse condition for the next couple of days. When she was home, she had coughed up rose petals with some blood on them. She'd wipe the blood off of her with tissue and throw them away. (y/n) knew this was serious. She just didn't know what to do.
Wednesday afternoon, after school had come finally. Rantaro met up with (y/n) and walked her to his house. Rantaro had noticed that (y/n)'s cough had gotten worse. He was slightly worried, but still thought it was a cold. Rantaro led her into a mansion that he called his home. (y/n)'s eyes widened in pure shock. Her eyes glowed slightly.
"This is amazing!" she exclaimed.
Rantaro led her into the amazing house. She say many chandeliers, and many fancy rooms. He led her into one of the living rooms and sat on the couch. (y/n) sat next to him.
"So are you happy?" Rantaro asked.
"Yeah. This is beautiful. I feel out of place here," (y/n) admitted.
"Don't say that. You are welcome here," Rantaro replied.
Rantaro and (y/n) spent the next few hours watching anime. (y/n) kept on making hilarious comments about what they were watching. He enjoyed seeing her so passionate about something. (y/n) smiled from contentment. It was about eight 'o clock at night. They finished the first disk of an anime called Fullmetal Alchemist. It was (y/n)'s favorite anime. (y/n)'s eyes widened slightly as she sat up.
Once (y/n) sat up, she started coughing really badly. Rantaro's eyes widened when he noticed this. He went in front of her to help her out. He rubbed circles on her back and patted her back slightly. Suddenly, pink rose petals escape her mouth. Blood stained rose petals spluttered everywhere and drops of pink blood splattering onto the ground as well as Rantaro's arm and clothing. Rantaro's eyes widened when he saw what was on him. He looked at his hand that had the blood stained petals and drops of blood on it.
"Is this.... blood?" he asked, shock and concern present in his voice.
The coughing was nonstop. It worried Rantaro so much. It looked like she was dying in front of his very eyes. Tears started streaming out of (y/n)'s eyes as she started screaming in pain.
"(y/n) answer me!" Rantaro yelled.
"I-I have the Hanahaki Disease Rantaro," (y/n) sobbed from sadness and pain, "I've had it for about a month. I didn't want an-anyone to worry about me, so I tried to keep it a secret."
"Who caused this?!" Rantaro shouted.
"It doesn't matter! It doesn't matter!" (y/n) screamed, tears and flower petals still escaping her lips.

(y/n) got up from the couch, and started staggering to the exit. She went as fast as she could which was a light jog. Rantaro chased after (y/n) screaming her name. He was really scared that she was going to die. He realized how much he cared about her because if this. He never wanted to lose anyone he cared about. (y/n) left, a trail of pink rose petals floating away from where they came from. (y/n) ran home, petals sticking to her lower lip, and some escaping her mouth as she cried and coughed. She knew she wasn't coming to school the next day.

"Hey mom... I'm not going to school today. I have a cold. I'll go at the end of the day to pick up my work though," (y/n) told her mother while coughing.
"Ok sweetie. I should probably say this now. We are in a situation where we won't be home for another month. Find someone to stay with I love you," her mother replied.
"Ok bye," (y/n) replied before hanging up the phone.
(y/n) cried out in pain as she coughed up more petals. The pain was a lot worse. She spent the day at home, coughing up petals.
Rantaro was at school worrying about what had happened to (y/n). She didn't come to school this day, so he was planning to go to her house after school. He did research the night before on how to cure this disease, and he wanted her to get rid of the infection before she dies.
(y/n) staggered to the school at around two fifty two to go get her homework. She knew school ended at that time so, she thought it'd be the best time to get her work. As she was walking to her first class, she had to make her way through the locker room. She turned a corner and saw someone. That someone was a very cross Rantaro. He saw her and walked closer to her, backing her into the corner of the locker room. (y/n)'s eyes widened in slight fear for what he was going to do. Rantaro slammer his hand right next to her, trapping her.
"We need to talk. You can't get out of this," he told her in a serious tone.
Rantaro then picked up (y/n), knowing her condition. He didn't want her to walk in fear of her passing out. (y/n) blushed madly at this as Rantaro ran her back to her house. Once they got there, Rantaro took her to her room. He noticed the many blood stained tissues in the garbage can. He sat her on her bed before sitting next to her.
"I know a way to get rid of your condition. You can die from this if we don't act fast," Rantaro explained.
"How do I get rid of it?" (y/n) asked.
"There is a surgery you can get. It will remove the infection. The bad thing about it is that it will also remove the feelings for that one person," Rantaro replied.
"No! I will not get it!" (y/n) shouted.
"(y/n) be serious! You will die if you don't get this surgery!" Rantaro shouted back.
"I don't care! I don't want to get the surgery!" (y/n) shouted.
"Why are you so stubborn?! Are the feelings for this person so important that you'd risk your life?!" Rantaro exclaimed.
"I refuse to let my love for you die!" (y/n) shouted.
Silence went through the air. Both (y/n) and Rantaro's eyes widened. Rantaro realized how he felt about (y/n) when he almost lost her. He fell in love with her for her being her. He realized that he was the one who caused her so much pain. He felt like he wanted to cry for it. He didn't want to lose her. Rantaro hugged (y/n) close to him and lifted her chin. His lips met hers in a synchronized motion. Rantaro tasted a little bit of rose and iron on her lips because of the illness. His eyes closed in contentment. Once he broke the kiss, he smiled at her.
"I realized how much I had fallen for you yesterday. I was scared alright?" Rantaro explained.
(y/n) felt the tenseness in her chest slightly lift. She suddenly started coughing again. It was something big coming out. Once it was out, she saw that it was the flower from inside of her lungs. It bloomed as soon as it entered her palm. It was pink. She realized that she was going to be alright.
"Are you alright now?" Rantaro asked.
"Yes I am..." (y/n) replied.
"You still need to recover. I'm going to be the one to do it," Rantaro told her.
"My parents are going to be gone an extra month," she replied.
"Then I'll move in for the month. I'll help you get better," Rantaro replied.

A week after the confession from (y/n) and Rantaro, they were at her house. Rantaro was preparing breakfast for (y/n). (y/n) coughed up remains of the plant that grew inside of her including withered petals.
(y/n) was drinking a cup of tea to help her throat get better. Rantaro looked at her and smiled.
"Hey (y/n). Will you be my girlfriend?" Rantaro asked.
(y/n) who was taking a sip of her tea while Rantaro said that, she spit it out when he said that.
"What?! Yes I will!" (y/n) exclaimed, jumping up and giving Rantaro a hug.

This took me many hours to write and also many hours to plan. Basically I did 4 stages of the disease instead of three. The flower petals have different meanings. Especially for the stages listed in this.
Gardenia means secret love and sweetness
Iris means hopeful and a cherished friend
Pink rose means innocent love.

I had to plan this a lot, so I hope you enjoyed. I thought this idea was interesting so I wrote it -CRUSIFIXdroid