Prose Poem: You are my Wish

You are my Wish

You are my wish; the dearest desire of my heart. You are beautiful, wonderful, unique, majestic, sublime... but unattainable. So near and yet so far.

You are the thought that enters my mind as I watch the stars shoot down. And why wouldn't it be so? You are my star, the one that I call upon to guide me as I pass the night. I never stopped hoping that one day you'll descend from your perch and traverse the skies to get to me; to make my wish come true. And now, as I sit watching a shower of meteors, I can't help but wonder if they come to grant my wish or as glistening tears that heaven shed... because my wish cannot be gratified. It was the constant question in my mind, "Am I never to see you by day? Do I always have to look up to you at night?". Perhaps I'll never know.

They say that a thousand paper cranes will help me to reach you. If I tried, would it happen? Would I be able to cut and fold and crease the paper to the desired specifications? Would I be able to last the labor, even as my fingers bled from paper cuts? And would a thousand paper planes be able to carry a heavy heart? Would they be able to stand the flood of my tears, the stormy sighs that I heave? It seems to me that each crane stands for a question with no hopes of being answered.

You are my dream; my fantasy. I might never know how to reach you. I might never be able to taste the bliss that would come in achieving you. But, should I stop hoping? 

If wishes can answer, then tell me.