the child-like habits

Start from the beginning

Her cheeks turned a shade of red almost matching her glossy lips, "Oh, I'm not--"

"Let's leave it at that so you don't break my heart," I say, standing up. A waitress came over to our table and I requested two kids menus for Sadie and I and a Root Beer. She left to give us a minute and I made my way to the jukebox.

"Tom Petty!" Sadie called.

"American Girl!" I reply, choosing the song and moving along with it to my seat. I unfolded my kids' menu and grabbed the low-quality crayons and almost began filling out the maze.

"Wait!" Sadie flipped to the maze and sat it down flat in front of her.

"Isn't the menu a bit childish?" Esmeralda pointed out, resting her head on her hands. I could literally listen to her talk all day. I'd been around plenty of Latina women with accents but something about her voice, man.

"Is childish such a bad thing? Youth is undoubtedly the best time of your life."

"You got her started," Jenkins mumbled.

I knew I was being dramatic but I didn't mind the attention it brought. I just thought it was fun messing around. "Coloring, kids menus, running around with no cares in the world, saying what you want to say, never apologizing--well, until someone made you."

"Let's slow this down before you get up on your soapbox, Lena," Sadie warned.

"Sorry for asking," the latina apologized, chuckling at what would've been my over-the-top display of why a little bit of child-like behavior is not a bad thing.

"Don't apologize, beautiful." I hadn't even noticed the guys from earlier who'd been in the store, the boy who bought the book and his anxious friend. They sat in the booth behind us but were facing our direction. Ponyboy, I think his name was, is talking to Sodapop and Johnny was listening.

I also hadn't noticed how many fewer people occupied the tables and booths around us. We were now the only ones there aside from a cute couple who might've been on a date or something, another couple making out in their booth, and a trio who I recognized that came into the store very often. They were friends of Lina's, mostly, so I didn't know them very well but they oozed sadness most of the time. The lack of people made me even more comfortable. While I do enjoy the presence of many, I can interact with small groups of people.

After I beat Sadie in the maze race and a game of tic-tac-toe (of which I'd lost to Jenkins, Sodapop, and the cute, shy guy Johnny) I stood back up. "There's basically nobody in here, why are we all bunched up together over here when there's so much space to be taken up?"

Sadie followed and put in for another song in the Jukebox, (You're The) Devil in Disguise. I smiled and pulled Jenkins and Esmeralda out of their seats, and Sadie offered her hand to Sodapop. I went over to the couple on the date and ushered them to get up with us.

"Oh, I don't dance," the girl says.

The boy smirked at her and stood up, "Well, come on, I dance."

"Well," she giggled, "If I step on your feet don't say I didn't warn you."

I left both the group of sad people and the couple going at it in the corner alone and all that was left was the two new friends. "Come on, guys, you're invited too."

"No thanks," Ponyboy said.

"I can't dance."

"As your new friend, I am entitled to at least one dance with both of you and then I'll never ask again."

Ponyboy shook his head, "I ain't feelin' too good so can I just cash that dance in another time?"

"I'm holdin' you to it." I held out my hand which the other boy reluctantly looked at before sighing and standing up. I don't know what it is about me but a lot of the time, when I say something, the people around me follow. It makes it so much easier to get what I want.

"I-I don't know what to do."

"Do whatever!" Sadie exclaimed, twisting her hips to the fast-paced guitar solo, a smile of ecstasy of her face. She always got a kick out of just living and I loved seeing that smile on her.

I laughed and he even laughed with me a couple times as he seemed to loosen up a tiny bit. We all danced through a few more songs and even the sad group and hot couple joined in for the last one; guess it's a proven fact that no one in the world can resist David Bowie.

We were saying goodnights and I gave Jenkins and Soda big cheek kisses and Ponyboy gave me a smile before leaving. Before I got into the car with Sadie, I pulled Johnny aside. "You're real cute, y'know that? And you're not an awful dancer."

"Oh, uh not--"

"Don't deny it, I wouldn't say it if it weren't true."

He gave me a smile and it warmed me up a bit on the inside, he was so cute. "Well, thanks."

"See you again sometime?" I ask right before he walks away.

"Yeah, sure."

I smiled and waved at him before getting into the little car. "Now!" I say to my friend.

"Time for you to get chewed out by your parents! And me by mine," she laughed, starting the car and speeding off.

"Absolutely."

alright, friends, another installment
hope you've enjoyed