Chapter 5: Him

Sabrina:
I didn't know what to say. He was just laying on the ground under Mindy's bed, staring and smiling at me. He was holding a knife in his hand, blood covering it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I fly to my feet, pick up Mindy, lock her door, and close it so that man would have a harder time getting to us. I run to Jake's room.
"JAKE!!" I scream. "JAKE COME OUT HERE!" He runs out of his room yelling sleepily
"WHAT?"
"THERE'S SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE!" I cry out grabbing his hand, the other carrying Mindy, and rush downstairs and out the front door. We hop in my car, I jam my keys into the ignition and turn it ... but it won't start. I'm in a panic when suddenly, out of the living room window I see that man smiling and waving with his bloody knife. I jump out of the car, picking up Mindy again and yelling to Jake "RUN TO THE NEIGHBORS HOUSE!" He bolts down the street, me after him, that man walking slowly towards us. Jake reaches the nearest neighbors and presses the doorbell on repeat until someone answers.
     "What's the matter?" some woman asks.
     "Th-there's someone chasing us with a knife!" Jake says, out of breath from running away from that man like a deer running from a wolf. The woman quickly let us in, fear in her eyes, trembling while she looked out the window and saw him.
     "Oh my god!" she said fearfully. She locked the door and said "Follow me, and hurry!" She brought us to a room in the basement. I shuddered at the thought of a basement after seeing my mom dead in the basement, a man had murdered her and fled the scene, never being found. I quickly put that aside knowing I had to be brave. She led us to a room that must've been the safe room. She told us she would be right back and when we heard her go upstairs a thump followed above us. Dead. That's all she was. Dead. Not a single breath left, not a single heartbeat, she was gone. And I was alone caring for these kids and myself, with a murderer in the house.
----------------------------------------------
Hey guys! I hope you're enjoying the book so far. There is going to be a little break from this part to explain things about Sabrina's past, thanks for reading. 💗