12 | How He Lived

ETHAN GRABBED THE ROPE as tight as he possibly could

August was really close below Ethan, so Ethan decided to kick his head a few times, making August slide down the rope.

He realised the hook was the only thing keeping them from falling, so he decided to climb onto the cliff's edge instead.

He looked down to see August still grabbing onto the rope but he eventually did the same thing. August didn't look very happy, mostly due to the fact that half of his face was disfigured.

Ethan needed to climb up to get the detonator, but his bruises and broken bones from the helicopter chase and the fight with August weren't helping at all. He decided to ignore the pain and climbed.

Almost to the top, Ethan looked down again to see August catching up. He looked up once more to realise that the hook was aligned with August's face.

Letting go of his grip of one of his hands, Ethan pulled the rope as hard as he could. To his relief, it fell and as he planned, onto August's face.

Shocked by the impact of the hit, August let go and fell.

Much to August's luck, Walter managed to fly a chopper undetected in the smoke of the explosion August's helicopter had caused when it crashed. At the right time, Walter swung a net out of the vehicle as it caught August. Before the net could snap, August bounced back up from the impact and Walter grabbed onto August's arm after he let go of the net which fell in the explosion.

Without effort, Walter carried August, who was now unconscious, into the helicopter. He ordered the medic, who he brought just in case this scenario actually happened, to treat August's wounds.

With the last of his remaining strength, Ethan struggled to climb to the top. Just a little more...

Five.

One of the rocks Ethan was stepping on crumbled, making him slip. He instantly stepped on another and heaved a sigh of relief.

Four.

Ethan climbed up to the top and saw the detonator, just out of arm's reach.

Three.

Ethan moved closer to the detonator. Now it was within arm's reach. He grabbed the detonator.

"Guys? You can make the cut!" Ethan tried to reach the team through the conms, but only static replied.

Two.

August awoke to see Walter. Walter asked is he was okay. August nodded and said, "But I failed."

"It's okay," Walter said. "I have a plan."

One.

Milliseconds before Luther, Benji and Ilsa made the cut, Ethan got the detonator out with his mouth.

Ethan panted as he spat the fail safe out. He climbed the last few steps and laid down on the edge of the surface. Before going unconscious, the last thing he saw was a helicopter of blue and white descending towards him.

Laying down on the stretcher, Ethan saw flashes of Luther asking others to get out of the way, Benji looking at him with a proud look and Ilsa looking at him with a worried smile.

They did it. They stopped the plutonium bombs. They stopped Lane. They stopped August. Most of all, they can finally get the peaceful lives they deserved long ago.

Or so they thought.

<><><><><><><><>

Hey guys!

I apologise if the scene is inaccurate compared to the movie, but I tried my best to remember the details.

Anyways, don't forget to vote and/or comment! They mean a lot to me and actually give me more dedication to this book, knowing that there are people who actually read it. So to those who have, I thank you. Without your votes, this book would not have gotten this far.

<><><><><><><><>