Chapter 28: I don't need you

Start from the beginning

I hear the muffled voices of the teacher and Alex but keep walking, adjusting my bag strap on my back.  I walk along the corridors, my feet echoing in the empty hallway. I check the slip of paper and sigh when I see that the room is on the other side of the school. 

I hear running footsteps behind me but don't turn to see who it is, instead I adjust my bag and walk faster. 

"Hey!" he yells when I don't turn around. "Hey!"

I walk even faster but he catches up with me. He opens his mouth to say something but I turn down a corridor and walk even faster. 

"Nat, please," he starts but I still don't say anything. I put my earphones in and turn down another corridor. 

I don't understand him.

I really don't.

One second he's apologizing, the next he's telling me he wish he never met me and then he ignore me and now he's annoying me and joining me in detention. 

I turn around a corner and he huffs in defeat, trailing after me. I decide that I'll just pretend he's not here. 

I walk into the detention class and sit down alone. I see my french teacher supervising. Well, she isn't really supervising, since there's no once else in here apart from me. She's just doing her marking and looks up at me when I walk in. 

Ok, I give up, I'll just ignore him. 

A look of surprise crosses the teacher's face. "Natalie? Alex? What're you two doing in here?"

"Madame, are you seriously surprised I'm in here?" the jerk says. 

"No," the teacher says but turns to me. "But I never thought I'd see you in here Natalie."

I open my mouth to answer but Alex beats me to it. "I was throwing pieces of paper at her and then she threw one back at me and the teacher got mad at her and sent her to detention even though it wasn't her fault and I then got detention for fighting with the teacher and chucking them all at her in the first place."

I look at him with surprise, so does the teacher. "Is this true Nat?" she turns to me. I close my mouth and nod, sitting down at a desk as far from Alex as possible. He comes and sits right next to me. I move to the other side of the classroom and sit down and he follows. The process is repeated a couple of times until I sit at a desk with no others surrounding it. Alex starts pulling a chair over and the teacher looks at us with amusment. 

"Are you two in a fight or something?" she says, sipping her tea. 

Alex shrugs and continues pulling the chair over. The teacher stands up and says she's going to get another cup of tea. 

Alex pulls the chair over and I look up at him, glaring. He smirks. 

I get up and walk to another desk. When he follows I turn around and slap him in the face. 

"Ow!" he whines. 

"Stop following me!" I say and sit down. 

"Hey, you talked to me!" he grins. I glare at him and get out my music book. 

"Well done, now leave me alone," I growl, reading through the questions I scribbled down. 

He gets up and runs a hand through his hair, walking over to me. 

"Nat, I really am sorry," he says. I ignore him and continue writing. "I didn't mean what I said."

"Really?" I look up. He opens his mouth to speak but I interrupt him. Sliding back my chair, I stand up and yell at him. "So you don't hate me? So you don't wish I wasn't in your life? Because to me, Alex, it seems like you do!"