Chapter 28: I don't need you

Start from the beginning

"I thought you said it was simple?" he says. I twist the heart necklace around my neck but stop when I remember who gave it to me. 

"Well, it is, really, he's a jerk and I hate him," I say and eat a chip. 

"You don't mean that," Callum says. 

No, I don't.

"Yes, I do," I say, munching on my food. I look over at Alex. He's talking to Bubbles who's sitting over there with him.  He's talking animatedly and runs his hands through his hair before placing his palms on his forehead and leaning his elbows on the table. 

"Well, he definitely regrets what he said," Callum gestures at Alex. 

"Sure," I snort and eat more chips. Damn, I'm gonna have to go on a run this afternoon. 

"I'm just saying, its not doing either of you any good to ignore the other. You're like his cocaine, he's addicted to you," he says. 

"He does drugs?" I ask, shocked. "And you're trying to convince me to continue spending time with him?"

"I'm just saying that he can't function without you and it'd be better if you both just talked to each other again."

With that, Callum walks away. He catches Bubbles walking back from his table and kisses her. She comes back to the table with a large smile pasted onto her face. 

"I don't need you two to look after me and Alex's addiction problems," I say, biting into my burger again. 

"What?" she says.

"Nothing."

***

I've always liked the practical side of music. I like the singing, playing, clapping bits of the class, not learning about BEETHOVEN (No offence, buddy). 

I sit there, taping my pen against my notebook, my head on my hand, staring up at the powerpoint while Meghan hums aimlessly, looking around the classroom with disinterest. I think a couple of people have even fallen asleep. Finally, our teacher stops speaking and gives us a worksheet to complete. I don't think very many people do it, but I attempt to snap out of my bored daze and try and think about how Beethoven changed the way people saw religion. I sigh and look up at the ceiling when I can't think of anything. 

Meghan, who is seated beside me, has her head rested on the desk. I guess no one was really ready for school to begin, and probably weren't ready for their alarms to go off at 6:30 again, either. 

Just as I'm about to turn back to my notebook to complete the worksheet, I feel something hit my back. It bounces off me onto the floor. I look down at the crumpled piece of paper. I look up at the person sitting a couple of seats behind and across from me before scowling. When I turn back around I see briefly writing underneath the sheet of paper crumpled over it, but I don't bother unraveling the paper to read it. 

Another piece hits my back but I keep my head down and continue scribbling down answers for the worksheet. The pieces of paper keep hitting my back until I can't take it any longer and turn around, taking a piece of paper that lands on my desk with me, Meghan giving me weird looks. 

I chuck the ball of paper right in his face so it hits his cheek. 

"Natalie Bennett!" the teacher says. I turn around to face her. 

"Yes, miss?" I ask nervously.

"Tossing notes at other students? I expected more of you, Natalie!" the teacher says disapprovingly. 

"Sorry miss," I say. 

"Detention, come get a slip," she says and starts writing one and I gather my bags. I grab the note from my teacher and start to walk out the door when a chair skids across the floor and someone stands up. I place my hand on the door frame and turn around. When I see Alex I roll my eyes and walk away.