Prologue

Prologue (Eleanors Point of View)  

"Love is but the discovery of one's self in another and the delight in the recognition."

The sun beams down kissing my wrinkled skin, a light breeze makes the wisps of hair, surrounding my face, danced around. My lips curl up as I watch my two beautiful grandchildren, Lauana and Grayson, play in the backyard. They run around the little pond, that is placed in the centre of the yard, trying to catch one another in a game of tag. A smile finally breaks on my face as I hear their laughter echoing in the air in harmony.  

Ma, are you sure you are okay here? We could have you moved within the week. My head snaps towards my only child, Edmund. My eyes narrow in slits at what he suggested. For three years he has been trying to get me to leave the family home and relocate into a nursing unit so I can receive the proper care. Ever since my late husband Edward passed Edmund believed I needed full time care and I shouldnt not be living by myself. He has failed each and every time he has tried to convince me.  

Boy, if I have to tell you one more time that I am perfectly content where I am, that this is my home and I will not be leaving it, then you will be getting a slapping upside the head. Edmund grimaces at the level of attitude and defiance in my tone of voice. A nod was all I got in reply as we sink back into a comfortable silence. Bruno, my old German Sheppard, comes and sits on my feet as I give him a good pat, running my fingers through hes soft fur. Bruno, my only companion in this big lonely house. My late husband brought me Bruno once Edmund moved out, so I still had something to care for, besides himself of course.  

Our silence was soon interrupted by the giggling five-year-old hurtling towards Edmund. Her bright orange hair flowing out behind her like a flame rising into the sky. Edmund opens hes arms wide as Lauana catapults herself into them. Edmund wraps hes fingers around her waist and starts digging them in as her laughs comes out loudly and her head falls back as her body tries to get in enough oxygen to fill her lungs.  

D-d-daddy! She breathes out. Stop! Edmund chuckles but ceases hes attack and gives her a lopsided grin.   

Okay Monkey." He lets go of he's deathly grip and Lauana springs out of he's arms. She quickly hides behind my chair.

"Nana Ellie?" She addresses me and I turn to look at her.

"Yes sweetie?"

"Can Gray and I have a drink please?" I nod my head and head towards the backdoor. Lauana and Bruno follow me silently into the kitchen. As I am making lemonade for everyone I am startled by a toe-curling scream. I turn to see Lauana looking horrified at Bruno. I rush to her side and snap her out of her trance.

"Lauana.. Look at me please." I force her face to look at mine. She snaps out of it and starts to shake.

"Bruno... Car.... Dead." Was all I made out of her mumbling. Edmund and Grayson rush in panicked.

"Monkey... What happened? Is she okay? You hurt baby?" He fires question after question not leaving a room for an answer. I roll my eyes.

"I'm okay daddy, I saw a spider." The lie rolls smoothly off her tongue. I watch her suspiciously but she throws me a smile that would do injustice to angels. I brush it off and continue to make the lemonade. The day continues until the sun starts to set creating the orange hue in the sky signalling that it was time for Edmund to head home.

An hour after they leave I get a knock at the door. I quickly go and open, wondering who on earth would be visiting me at this time. I open to see my next door neighbour, Daisy.

"Hello Darling. How can I help you." I ask her politely. The look of sympathy on her face brings a horrible feeling to settle inside my stomach.

"I'm sorry Eleanor, but your dog must of escaped and we didn't see him in time. I'm so sorry we hit him...he's gone." My heart breaks at the news as tears well up in my eyes.

It was then that I understood. Lauana was the next one of us. She is a Banshee.

A/N 761 words and a full page on word. Thank you for those who are reading this! I plan on trying to update once a week. This chapter is the only one not in Lauana's point of view.please give this a vote!

Thank you Lashana xoxo