Glancing at his cup, I asked, "What did you ask for?"

"I wanted a Blackberry Green Tea Frappuccino, but I just got a latte." He made a face.

The doctor cleared his throat and drew our attention. He gave Art a nod before turning to me. "Well, it was... interesting running into you. Again. Until next time."

I wanted to protest that there'd be no next time. Instead, I watched him settle down at the table next to us with a newspaper, his back to us.

"Who was that guy?"

I sat down on the chair Art held out for me. "Just someone I met the other day."

"Are you dating him?" he asked, turning to give the clinic doctor the evil eye.

"Of course not." I shook my head vigorously for emphasis.

"You sure? There seemed like there was something between you two. Sparks or something."

The clinic doctor cleared his throat and rustled his newspaper.

"No sparks," I declared loudly. Then, to change the topic, I pasted a smile on my face and said, "Tell me about yourself. Have you been in potato delivery for long?"

Art's face lit up. "Since after high school. I started working for this old guy. A couple years ago he decided to retire and I bought him out. But I deliver more than just potatoes," he said proudly. "All sorts of tubers."

I blinked. "Tubers?"

"You know. Root vegetables. Onions and carrots and beets and turnips-"

Nodding, I quickly said, "Yes, I see."

"I own the truck myself." He pointed to the white monstrosity that was parked down the street. "Well, the bank still owns it, but it'll be all mine soon. Isn't it great?"

"It is." It looked like something you'd find parked on the main drag in Sarajevo, but I didn't want to crush his excitement by pointing that out.

I heard a snort from the other table. Eyes narrowed, I shot a warning glance at the doctor but he was buried behind his paper.

"I got lucky. I started delivering for the farm in high school. When old man Roberts wanted to retire, he offered the business to me." He shrugged almost modestly. "I've expanded it quite a bit, upgraded with the truck and all, you know."

I didn't, but I nodded politely.

"Because root vegetables are the difference between life and death."

My lips twitched with a smile until I realized he wasn't joking. "They are?"

He nodded seriously. "Root vegetables will be our salvation. I'm helping the cause."

A scrape from a chair's leg caught my attention. I glanced right to find the doctor moving around his table so he faced me. He cocked his brow, clearly amused. I scowled at him and focused on Art. "What cause are you helping?"

"I'm saving Americans from famine," he declared proudly.

"What famine?"

"The famine that's coming."

"There's a famine coming?"

Art nodded. "It's inevitable. And most people, like you, aren't aware of it."

"And tubers are going to save us?" I hoped I didn't sound too skeptical.

"Yes." He frowned at me. "Haven't you heard of the Irish famine? If they'd just had potatoes, all those Irish people wouldn't have died."