Odd Compliment

"Man today was a long day," you say as you plop down next to your best friend Noah.

He was your best friend since the second grade, and you two had been through it all together. Relationships, growing up, family problems, even college which you both had just started. You both had a few classes together, and outside of school you guys hung out quite often. Generally it consisted of watching movies and gaming with other friends you both had met online.

"Yeah? What happened?" he asked as he started up his computer.

"Well, work sucked. I only made out with about $30 in tips after an almost 8 hour shift. On top of that I think I'm getting sick because a co-worker decided to come in to work with the flu. On top of that, my feet are swollen and my back hurts. Seriously though - how can people stiff those who work in the food industry as waiters...I bust my ass to make a living out here and they just don't care" you say, reaching for your laptop and propping it on your lap before turning it on.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. People suck...but hey! Just think, now you're chilling with me and we're able to kick back and relax and play some games. That should help take your mind off things, right? At least a little?" Noah asks, trying to lift your spirits.

"Yeah, I guess..." you say, a small smile appearing on your lips.

"That's what I thought. Come on, it looks like the guys are already waiting for us to join in on Discord to talk. Surely they can help you out in feeling better, too" he said while slightly nudging you.

There was a close knit group of friends you guys had met through out your years of gaming. Ben (username: SickAsFrick) was the first person that became close with you and Noah and the next was Alex, Ben's brother (username: s1lence). The two lived off in Texas while you and Noah resided in [your state]. An easy five out of seven days a week you four logged in to game with one another, and the gaming sessions were far from short. Probably the longest time you all spent gaming was around twelve hours straight while trying to rank up in Counter Strike: Global Offensive. You and Noah wasted no time joining in on the Discord channel to talk with your pals.

"Hey guys, what's good?" Ben asked.

"Not much, but Y/N had a bad day so it's our duty to cheer her up," Noah said.

You rolled your eyes and glared at him from the couch and watched as he let out a small laugh and smiled.

"What happened?" Alex asked.

"Customers are pricks," you simply said.

"I hear you on that one. A customer yelled at me today because we ran out of eggs. What am I supposed to do? Go force a chicken to pop out a dozen of them for you?" Alex said jokingly.

"Right!? God people are dicks," you said, opening up Fortnite.

"Alright, I'm in an ass kicking mood so we're gonna be dropping Tilted Towers," Ben says.

"No promises that I'm gonna do well, but sure" you sighed.

After a few games, and not doing too hot on any of them, you all decide to queue up on Counter Strike: Global Offensive.

"We only have four people, do any of you guys have one extra person so we can have a full queue and not worry about queuing up with some random idiot?" you ask.

"Sheesh someone is feisty tonight," Alex says.

"I wouldn't if I were you," Ben warns Alex.

"What he said...but yeah, I've got someone. Y/N, I think you'll like him. He's really chill," Noah says looking back at you.

"Sure, whatever," you say with an attitude after Alex's remark.

The server notifies you of someone new joining, stating the message: Welcome to the server, SentimentalRental, enjoy your stay! ...you always hated the tacky messages Discord always managed to come up with upon someone new joining a server.

"Hey," a new voice said shyly.

"Hey Josh, what's up?" Noah asks.

"Not much, how are you guys all doing tonight?" he asks.

"Could've been better. I like your name though," you say.

"Well that's an odd compliment, but, thanks. I'm sorry your day wasn't good," Josh says quietly.

Taking off his headset, Noah sighs and rolls his eyes at you. He mutes his microphone so as to ensure that the guys in the Discord server didn't hear him say to you what he was about to.

"Don't be too...quick to get all in to opening up real fast with Sentimental. He's a really shy guy and takes a bit of time to truly show himself. Kinda the person who has social anxiety," Noah mentions.

"Oh, okay...so what's that have to do with me saying I liked his name?" you ask with a furrowed brow.

"I know how you are with Twenty One Pilots and Joshua and Tyler," he says with a smirk, looking at you like you already knew what he was about to teasingly scold you on.

You blush and look up at him smiling.

"...annnndddd...?" you ask sarcastically.

"Just don't make him feel awkward, and don't blast your crazy obsessed fandom just because the poor kid shares the name of your favorite drummer, alright?" Noah asks laughing. "It took a while for him to ease up on gaming with random people, and with me, so I wanna make sure he isn't put on edge is all."

Noah did have a point, sort of. After all you did obsess over them being your favorite band and talked about them non-stop. Border line OCD even. I guess trying to tell you to hold back on freaking out over someone with the same name was a good way to tell you to chill the fuck out in the most respectful way your best friend could put it.

"I get ya. Be calm and don't freak out over his name or Twenty One Pilots" you say.

"Exactly...now let's get back to the game," he says, putting his headset on as you do the same.

a/n: yes, that's me in the screenshot - peep the username at the time ayeeee ♥