↦Chapter 8 : Trapped

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, here you go",said John as he grapped the phone and handed it to the killer.

"Thanks"

John closely stared at him as he called:

"Yeah, I got a 7-19 here at 811 Fairhope. Signs of possible forced entry. Suspect is at large on foot. No one else here, but a neighbour just showed up",he pretended as he stared at John. The latter glanced back at what was written on the window.

"Yeah..ok. see you soon"

"Hey, did you see that?",asked a confused John with a crossed-arm as he pointed towards the words.

"Yeah, I did. This girl, Maddie. Does she have a boyfriend?",he asked as he secretly slipped John's phone into his pocket.

"No, I don't think so"

"Hmm... Family nearby? Anybody else that could possibly have access to the house?"

"No, she pretty much keeps to herself",replied John as he shook his head in disagreement.

"Is your arm ok?",asked John as he noticed a piece of cloth wrapped around his arm.

"Oh, yeah...the guy just ploughed into me. He hit me like a truck. He must have been...well, just about your size, actually. You know? Like a jock. Linebacker type. Scary guy",he said.

John frowned and stared at his figure when he asked:

"Can I have my phone back?"

"Oh..",the killer chuckled.

"Yeah of course, sorry. So stupid of me. Force of habit..",he said as he handed John the phone back.

John eyes grown bigger as he noticed the ear-ring of Sarah which fell on the floor from the killer's pocket who has gone unnoticed as he trudged away.

The suspicion of John growed even bigger. He asked:

"You said you responded to a call? Was it from Maddie?"

"From the dispatcher...actually. They said someone had called it in. I just assumed it was the resident",he said as he turned his back.

"Yeah, because she wouldn't be able to make that call. She's deaf and mute"

"Huh..?",the killer wondered.

"Well, then it must have been your girlfriend who made the call"

John frowned as he stared at him.

                                  •••

Inside, a desperating Maddie was trying to strain the bow but she couldn't. She tried one more time when she threw the crossbow which clattered. Maddie laid her body on the floor as she started sobbing and screaming in pain inside herself.

                                   •••

"So deaf, mute, huh?",asked the killer to John who suspiciously stared at him with a frowned face.

"Pretty rough. Has she always been unable to hear?"

"No..not always. Since she was a teenager, I think. Meningitis"

The killer shook his head when he looked at the house.

"Still, to live alone like this...she must be able to get by"

"I can't swear to it but....I'm pretty sure she has a spare key in that planter on the porch down there"

"Wouldn't that be great?",said the lunatic.

"Yeah"

"Just..?"

"Yeah, it's right down there, on that cornor",John pointed it's finger. The killer slowly tiptoed down the stairs as he made his way towards the potted plants when John asked:

"So who do you think it was? Like, a burglar? I hope it wasn't something worse..."

"I'm sure they are fine. If they called it in, they probably got the hell out of here",he replied.

"Trashed her car pretty good, huh?",remarked John.

The murderer turned his gaze and looked at the car while John secretly grabbed a big rock from the pot of plant and hide it behind him.

"Oh yeah..look at that..Jeez!"

John stared at him as he tiptoed the stairs when he asked:

"So, how long do you think it will take for the cavalry to arrive?"

"About ten. Fifteen, maybe"

"Really?"

"Well, I'm glad you happened across me. I could have been out here all night, bleeding..",he lied.

"Yeah, I'm glad I came by",emphasized John.

"In here, you said?",the killer pointed.

"Yeah, I think so. I'm not sure",replied the muscled guy.

The killer obeyed and he searched among the plants when John was about to hit him in the head with the rock but he heard loud banging from the inside: it was Maddie. John frowned as he looked at her when a sharp knife digged into his neck. Blood poured out.

"Easy, Easy..",the maniac laughed.

Maddie's jaw fell open and her eyes grew bigger as she looked at the scene.

"It's done..it's done..sorry man",the maniac said as he looked at John who was collapsing when he tried to punch the killer but the latter stabbed him in his leg. He weakened and kneeled on the ground. Maddie furiously banged on the window as she was helpless that she couldn't even help her neighbour, John who were groaning in pain.

"I figured I had about a two-in-ten chance if it came to a fight",he said as he circled John.

John tried to reach his hand to the killer but blood was ozzing from his neck and it gradually became hard to breathe.

"Whop! You can't reach me",he laughed.

"You are just so damn big"

John gasped.

"I'm actually pretty glad she showed up when she did. Thank you",he glanced at Maddie who were pounding on the window and then placed back his torch towards John whose neck was parted and wine red blood flowing down.

"Shh shh..it's okay it's okay",he said as he came closer to John. The latter out of the blue jumped on the killer when he grunted.

Maddie quickly tried to adjust the crossbow but she failed. She looked at John who strangled the killer with his big muscled arm when he uttered the word:

"R-Run"

Maddie cried as she looked at him when she frowned and limped towards the back door when she turned the doorknob.