Chapter 5

When the two arrived on Shili, the mission was routine, nothing fun or out of the ordinary. After delivering the much needed supplies to the villagers, Ana Kay and Padme boarded the cruiser to head home.

                “That was fun.” Padme said enthusiastically.

                “If you call relief supplies and no action fun, then sure, it was fun.” Ana complained.

                “Ana, I don’t think you realize how important the Togrutas are to the Republic.” Ana looked at her friend.

                “It’s not like Kamino or something. Kamino is important to the Republic, but these outer rim planets aren’t imperative. This is boring, I want some action. I want to be able to use my lightsaber!” Ana was on edge.

                “Listen,” Padme said as she put her hand on Ana Kay’s shoulder, “That will come eventually, but first you need to learn that little planets like Shili are imperative. They are the deciding factor to who will win the war. Siding with the Republic or siding with the Separatists are two of their options, or they can remain neutral. If enough planets provide for the Separatists, the Republic could take a big blow.”

                “Then I should be on the front lines fighting with my Master!” Padme rolled her eyes and sighed.

                “You don’t understand. You’re a Padawan. You need to learn responsibility and you need to learn how the Republic works. That’s the reason you got this mission.”

                Yeah right. Ana Kay thought. You wouldn’t say that if I was a boy, and Master wouldn’t have given me this mission! If I was a boy I would be on the front lines using my lightsaber and using the Force. This is ridiculous! I hate this. Ana Kay was troubled and angry at the same time. She wanted to scream, but something told her not too.

                “You’re still a kid, Ana. Don’t rush things.” Ana glared at Padme.               

                “I’m thirteen years old! I don’t need to be delivering supplies. I need to be fighting!” Ana shouted; breathing heavily. Padme stepped back, sheer horror on her face. She had never seen a Jedi, or a Padawan act like this.

                When Ana finally slowed her breathing and saw the look on Padme’s face, her heart broke. Her only friend she had ever made, she just shouted at.

                “Padme, I’m so sorry.” Ana said; reaching out for Padme but Padme pulled away, hiding her face.

                “Let’s go home. I think it’s time to get you back to your Master.” Padme walked onto the ship, leaving Ana Kay there, alone. Ana felt broken. Her only friend. Her only friend, gone. Ana didn’t even have intentions to make friends with a Senator, but she did, and now, she lost her only friend.

                Why me?! Why does everything bad always happen to me?  Ana put her head in her hands and wiped her face. She sulked onto the cruiser and sat down in her on-board quarters.

                “Why in the Force does this have to happen to me? I didn’t ask to be The Chosen One. I didn’t want any of this!” Ana said, frustrated.

                She heard a knock on the door and her head popped up. Padme? She thought excitedly.She quickly rose and opened the door. It wasn’t Padme. It was a clone.

                “Dinner in the Mess in ten.” Ana sighed and closed the door. She heard the clone’s footsteps echoing down the corridor.

                Another knock rung throughout her quarters, but Ana lay down and used the Force to open the door, not even acknowledging who was knocking.

                “Ana?” A small voice asked. Ana sat up. It was Padme.

                Ana Kay hid her face. “Padme,” Ana muttered.

                “Ana, I’m sorry.” Padme said, carefully stepping into Ana’s quarters.

                “No,” Ana said, looking up, “I’m sorry.”

                Padme looked confused.

“I shouldn’t have yelled at you like that. I’m sorry.” Ana said, feeling ashamed.

                Padme sat down on Ana’s bed and put a hand on the young one’s shoulder. “It’s okay. You should get some fighting time, though. That isn’t fair.” Padme sympathized.

                “I know right?!” Ana said, looking up at Padme, smiling. Padme laughed.

                “I’m sorry.” Padme said.

                “I’m sorry.” Ana responded. Padme smiled at Ana.

                “Friends?” Padme offered, sticking out her hand for Ana to shake.

                “Friends,” Ana confirmed, but instead of shaking Padme’s hand, she pulled her best friend in for a hug. She felt Padme smile.

                “So… do you want to go get something from the Mess Hall?” Padme asked curiously. Ana smiled.

                “Sure. I hope they have some Maju fruit-filled donuts.” Ana said, her mouth was watering just thinking of the delicious pastry.

                Padme laughed. “What is that?” Ana looked at her, surprised.

                “Really? You’ve never had one?” Padme shook her head.

                “Not that I’m aware of.” Padme retorted.

                “Well, then, let’s get some donuts!” Ana said enthusiastically.

                Padme smiled. “Okay,”

With that, the two best friends walked down the corridors and into the Mess Hall, where, fortunately there were Maju fruit-filled donuts. They then proceeded to fill their stomachs with decedents and talk all through the night.

                Then it hit Ana. I made a friend just being me. I’m just me and I can’t be anyone else. I know that we’re going to be friends forever, Ana thought.