"Of course I'm serious. She needs someone to whip her into an icewing shape. And her scales too. Her scales are soooo creepy," Puffin said, lifting a talon and inspecting her scales.

"You can't change a dragon's scales. Maybe their behaviour but definitely not their scales," Not unless you rip them off. Gelid thought gruesomely. She begun to think of a skywing that lived long ago but was distracted by Puffin talking.

"I know, but..." Puffin stared off into the distance. You would if you could. Puffin didn't need to finish her sentence for Gelid to understand what she was saying.

It was clear as ice that Puffin didn't like Mist with one inch of her scales. Not one.

"You were right to stand up to her," Puffin commended to Gelid.

"I did what I felt I had to do." Even if now I feel a bit bad for doing it. Gelid thought.

"That's as much as any of us can do right now," Puffin said. "Where are you going again?" She asked, quickly changing the subject.

"To the rainforest. Queen Blizzard arranged a meeting with Queen Firefly to talk about the recent events. We're leaving today. At least the rainwings and the sandwings haven't lost their heads over this Mirror Incident like the skywings have," Gelid said. "I thought you're coming along."

"I wish." Puffin breathed deeply. "I'm overlooking Squall's rehabilitation, which includes battle training. My poor, poor Squall." She added affectionately with a shaking head.

"A little penguin whispered in my ear that you and Squall are getting married. True?" Gelid asked.

"True!" Puffin said with a sudden burst of excitement, almost leaping off her tail. "It's very true. Her majesty, Queen Blizzard approved, and we're getting married in a month, most likely two if Squall doesn't recuperate his strength in time."

"And you're moving into the western palace with his family?"

"The Sterling Palace," Puffin beamed. "It has the most exquisite and rarest animal pelts in the entire kingdom. I think I'm going to like there..."

Puffin went on and on about the beauty of the Sterling Palace, explaining every single pelt found in the palace, the nobles that lived there, and the names of the dragonets she'd pick when she had them. Gelid was happy that Puffin's sour expression and tone went away.

As time went on, more icewings gathered and waited in the courtyard, waiting for the esteemed Queen Blizzard to finish preparing and fly towards the rainforest. Clouds began to accumulate overhead, covering the sky in thick grey blanket. Snow fell lightly in small puffs and exquisite snowflakes, marking the beginning of the snowstorm season.

Gelid hoped they'd leave quickly. She never liked seeing the palace layered in deep snow and she was always glad that she wasn't one of the miserable icewings that worked on clearing the snow every other day of snowstorm season.

Puffin grunted after some time and walked off, with Gelid wondering why she left without a proper farewell. Then she spotted Mist and instantly understood.

Mist shook off the snow on her wings as soon she landed and examined all the waiting icewings that murmured quietly. She spotted Gelid and trudged towards her.

"When are we leaving?" Mist asked her with no hint of tiredness in her breath. It was as if the few hundred laps around the palace did nothing to her stamina.

Why couldn't Mist at least try to be polite to the other icewings? If they were ever going to be her future subjects then it would be best to get to know them.