what happened to ashton vienna reilly? ch2

I had fallen asleep with the empty candle container beside my bed, the scent wafting into my dreams of him. Memories were what they actually were; pictures in my mind of who he was.

I was awake now but did not want to be. With my eyes still closed I reached down on the floor by my bed for the candleholder. I fumbled around for it but only grasped air. Exasperated, I opened my eyes only to be frightened and confused by my surroundings; this was not my room. This was not even a room I recognized! It was white, cold and smelled of disease and disinfectant. As I contemplated the situation, I came to the conclusion that I was in the hospital. I heard beeping noises and saw the tubes on my body that confirmed my suspicions. I had no idea what was going on. Maybe that was why I was here.

As the beeping accelerated, I heard the shuffling footsteps and saw people approaching that I assumed were nurses and doctors. They stared wide-eyed while I sat up and gave them questioning looks. I could not seem to find my voice and ask them what was going on. I felt a rough throbbing in my throat as I choked out the words, "What happened?" I did not recognize the raspy voice but when I saw their mouths drop open I realized the voice belonged to me. I tried to pull the blankets off myself and instantly felt dizzy and numb. The doctor closest to me gently pushed me back down on the bed, which I was very thankful for. I heard some murmurs between him and some other doctors in the room and he pulled out a syringe. He swiftly plunged it into my arm as I felt a wave of sleep begin to wash over me. I watched in a haze as they all left except one small woman who stood alone in the corner. She quickly scurried over to me and whispered softly in my ear, "You are due your explanation". She softly touched my side and then my consciousness left me.

I woke with a slight headache to see that there was darkness everywhere. I knew I wasn't going anywhere if I couldn't see anything and I remembered how dizzy I felt when I tried to move around before. I rolled over and I heard rustling and felt my side being poked by something. I found a piece of paper crumpled into a ball and placed under my side. In fluent, cursive handwriting it read:

"Once you wake up go straight to the first elevator down the pathway to the right of our room. You deserve answers. Walk carefully and don't talk to anyone.

CC"

Now I didn't' recognize the initials but I did remember someone telling me I deserved answers right before I fell asleep, or maybe that was a dream... I know I deserve answers anyway. What harm could it really do? Let's just hope I can make it there without passing out or something.

I took my time taking off the covers and sliding my legs off the bed. I felt fine so far, but felt a twinge of dizziness return when I took those few first steps. I steadied myself against some more medical equipment and kept on walking. She said it was just down the hallway anyways. I turned the corner towards the hallway and immediately saw myself reflecting off the chrome on the elevator doors. I looked so small and frail in this think hospital gown. I ignored the image of my pale face and sickly frame and continued walking at a snail's pace towards the elevator. I finally reached it and closed my eyes to regain my composure and took a few deep breaths. There were spots blocking my vision when I opened my eyes and I leaned forward to hold myself up, accidentally pressing both the up and down buttons next to the elevator door. They opened immediately to reveal the petite nurse from before standing there in her green scrubs. She didn't say anything but gestured for me to come forward and pressed a button that closed the doors and sent us down. We stopped and I stumbled backwards a little into the elevator wall. I watched the doors open and the nurse step out. I didn't know where we were going, so I followed her outside into the cold night air. I felt uncomfortable walking with this stranger god knows where so I asked, "Are you CC?" She turned and gave me a sad look before replying, "My name is Charlotte Christiansen. I am your sister". I stopped walking and just stared at her. She was my sister? This didn't make sense. I only had one sister and she was only eleven years old, not in her twenties like Charlotte clearly was. "Wait, if you were my sister wouldn't I know?" Charlotte smiled and me and said, "I told you that you deserved answers didn't I?"