1

It was just supposed to be a normal hydra base runover. Things never turn out the way that there supposed to with the avengers.

I was blasting through people while Nat was hacking into the system and having Jarvis scan for any heat signatures so i know who's all coming. I don't bother checking in the countless rooms that all look the same because I would see it as a heat signature.
But finally once the bundles of people coming seemed to stop and I was still walking forward in case more are coming. I see a heat signature in a more secure door then the rest. I get blasters ready and aim one of them at the door and then i hurry in aiming the charged blaster at the figure sitting on the uncomfortable cot until i see it's a little boy visibly shaking looking malnourished and dirty with dirt and blood stained with no clothes except for a stained pair of white underwear and no shoes.
I quickly put my arm down and close the door behind me in case more people are coming.
I walk over taking my face plate off and the smell overwhelms my nose. It smells like pee and blood and sweat. My heart strings tug for the kid.

I clear my throat and he flinched harder then i've ever seen someone his age flinch just by the noise.
"Kid it's iron man." I say.
He flinched again and shook his head no.
"Well." I say as I turn the com on and ask for back up.
A few minutes later Steve came running in with his shield ready to block any gunfire and people but quickly put it away when his eye's landed on the kid.
He put it on his back and slowly walked towards the kid. He sat down at the end of the cot and the kid seemed pull into himself even more.
"I'm Steve." Steve said softly.
He didn't shake his head no this time but didn't make an attempt to have a conversation
"You know what makes me feel better?" Steve asked.
The kid still didn't do anything but he continued anyway.
"Having something to protect myself with." he said while taking the shield off of his back and setting it down between the two.

The kid slightly lifted his head and looked at the shield and his face was dirty and looked to be bleeding from somewhere but i couldn't tell since i could barely see his face still. Steve smiled.

"It's made of vibranium that's the strongest metal in the world nothing can get past that." He said while knocking on it with his knuckles.
He lifted his face more and I saw that above his eyebrow was bleeding.

"How about you come with us and i'll let you use it." Steve said.
He didn't do anything but it looked like he wanted to say yes. 
"Can you walk?" Steve asked.
The kid still didn't do anything.
There were footsteps running that were getting closer and the kid hid his face again.
Then the rest of the avengers faces appeared.
"I have everything let's get going." Nat said.
She didn't seem to notice the obviously terrified child sitting on the bed.
When she finally did she sighed and walked inside more.
"can't you just pick him up or something? if we don't start getting a move on there are going to be more people coming and it will be harder to get out." Nat said.
Steve looked at Nat.
"Do you see him? Anyway we don't know why hydra even has him." Steve argued.
I hate that they are talking about him like he isn't even in the room but nat does have a point and if he has something up with him i have the armor on.

I reach over not listening to conversation and grab him and he didn't even fight it. Steve was about to argue.
"Let's go." I say while getting up. We make it to the jet where Bruce was at in case we needed the big green guy.
His eyes went big when he saw a kid in just underwear. It was snowing and the kid was shivering.
Bruce brought over a blanket that was kept around. He wrapped it around the kid but the kid didn't hold onto it. He didn't look up he wrapped his arm's around himself and i hold the blanket on him and stare down at him.
Everyone besides the kid Steve and I are passed out from fighting.
"My real name is Tony." I say.
The kid flinched at the sudden sound of a voice after sitting in silence.
He didn't say anything.
"We are going to bring you back to my place it's a big tower and we are going to have doctor's check you out." I say.
He seemed to get even paler by the mention of the doctor.
I don't say anything waiting for him to say something but then something clicks.
What if he doesn't know how to talk? I mean we don't know how long hydra had him what if they didn't teach him to talk?
We land with a jerk to wake everyone up and Bruce walked out from flying the thing with an oversized shirt.
He walked over and handed it to me for the kid.
I let go of the blanket and it fell and he was still shivering and holding onto himself. After finally getting the shirt on we get off everyone already left.

I take him down to the medbay and we are sitting in a room. He looked terrified of everything.
Finally though Helen Cho walked through the door with a clipboard and the kid didn't look up just looked at his feet holding his stomach like how he was on the jet.
"What's your name?" she asked. he didn't say anything just gripped himself tighter.
I pull Helen out.
"I don't think he knows how to talk i mea-" I start but she cut me off.
She shook her head no.
"He can he just isn't comfortable around us we did a scan of his brain and it's developed faster then most kids his age we just need to give him time and encourage him that is if we decide to keep him here and you don't take him to an orphanage." she said.
I shake my head no.
"Of course not." I say and she smiled and then we walked back to the room where the kid was in the same position.
Helen kept asking questions that he didn't answer and he seemed to be growing increasingly scared because he kept gripping tighter and tighter and he never looked up.
Helen left leaving me alone with the kid
"I can go get you some clothes your own size if you would feel more comfortable in them." I say. He didn't say anything.
"Do you know how to talk?" I ask. He actually nodded which i thought was progress.
He didn't say anything still.
Steve brought down some clothes in the kids size.