TFA: Home Sweet Home (Damerey)

*REY*
"Home sweet home buddy!" I cheer as the lush, green planet of D'Qar came into view from the cockpit of my X-Wing.

BB-8 beeped excitedly.

"I agree, buddy! It has been a while." I reply, flicking the switch for Auto-land. "Wonder how the General's doing."

Removing my gloved hand from the stick, I muse out loud, "Who Do ya think'll be waiting for us when we land?"

The droid beeped excitedly once again.

"Your right. Probably Poe." I laugh. "He probably just wants you back."

BB-8 beeped back a response that I couldn't make out. But before I could ask the droid to repeat himself, we'd already arrived on the tarmac.

Reaching for the quick release on my harness, I take off my helmet and open the cockpit's canopy, letting BB-8 down in the process.

I stand with the cockpit wide open, breathing in the fresh, humid air.

Breathing recycled air for 48 hours certainly did take a toll on one's respiratory system.

I cast my gaze around the tarmac. It was bare.

Shrugging, I leap down from the X-Wing, and start my walk around the fighter.

New scratches, dents and grit were plastered all over the fighter's body.

"Looks like you're gonna need a new paint job soon." I mutter as I let out a long sigh.

"I could help ya out with that!" A familiar masculine voice called.

"Poe!" I yell excitedly, running towards the pilot and embracing him in a warm hug.

"Nice to see you're back." Another familiar, this time feminine voice said from behind the man who's arms I was wrapped in.

Stepping away from Poe slightly embarrassed, I face the General.

"It's great to be back." I reply formally, reaching into the pocket of my flight suit to reveal a small data chip.

"Not just yet. I have a meeting with another squadron. You keep it for now. I'll leave you two to catch up." Leia orders, winking at Poe as she turned on her heel and walked back inside.

"So? How'd the mission go?" Poe asks, as I turn to finish my walk around examination of the X-Wing.

"It was a success. Ran into some First Order TIE's when I came outta Hyperspace at my destination, but they soon learnt their lesson about messing with the Resistance." I reply, smirking. "So what's gone on while I've been gone?"

"A lot actually."

"How so?"

"A fighter exploded on the tarmac."

"Was anyone in it?" I press.

"Nope everyone was all good. It's just how it happened that really has me worried." Poe mutters, clearly deep in thought.

Pulling out a notebook from my pocket, I make note of the new scratches, dents and grit all over my X-Wing.

"Why?" I ask, putting away the notebook and taking off my flight vest, throwing it back into the cockpit along with my helmet.

The dark haired pilot shakes his head.

"I don't really know... just seems almost intentional..."

"Wanna go for a walk and talk about it?" I suggest, standing in front of Poe.

"The thing just blew up. There was nothing left of her afterwards." He says, starting to walk in the direction of the outskirts of the base, me keeping in perfect stride with him.

"It had to be First Order."

"But we can't just assume that. I mean, I know we're enemies and all but seriously," I argue, exaggerating with my hands. "how would've they gotten the explosives on the tarmac?"

Poe abruptly stops mid-stride.

"Someone here did it. Someone in our own ranks. A member of the Resistance. That has to be it." He states through clenched teeth. "But who would want to betray someone they've fought alongside with for years?"

I put a reassuring hand on the frustrated pilot's shoulder.

"It was probably just some fumes that leaked from the engine to the gas tank. They caught fire and the next thing you know," I explain, once again using my hands. "Boom. No more X-Wing."

Poe chuckles. "Take it from the mechanic."

"Former mechanic." I chuckle, elbowing him.

"Thanks to my efforts"

"And now look at me! Evenly matched with you!" I tease.

"Pssh! You wish!"

I hadn't realized it, but we'd reached the base's boundaries. All that separated the forests of D'Qar and the Resistance was a simple chain-link fence.

My eyes meet Poe's and the next thing I knew we were over the fence and into the forest.

"You know, we're probably gonna get in trouble when we get back to base, right?" I question as I dodge a rock in my path.

"Yeah. But Leia told us to spend some time catching up. So that's what we're gonna do."

I smile to myself. One of the things I loved about Poe. Always one to bend the rules and twist words in his favor.

"Do you know where we're going?" I yell up at the dark haired pilot who was a good length away from me, ahead on the trail.

"No clue!" He yelled back, hidden glee i n his voice.

As dusk started to fall, I started to become anxious.

"Dameron. I swear... if you've gotten us lost I'm gonna..." I trail off as a massive gorge with rumbling waterfalls cascading ever-so gently over the edges, filled my vision.

"Like it?" Poe asks quietly from beside me.

Turning, I look at the cocky, hotshot pilot I'd came to know over the last few months. He had a look in his eyes, something I'd never seen before, nervousness.

I smile at him.

"Like it? It's absolutely stunning!" I whisper, casting my gaze over the beautiful landscape once more.

My thoughts snap back to reality. This wasn't like the Poe I know.

"What's this about, Dameron?" I demand, nervousness that matched his own, creeping into my voice.

Poe looks me straight in the eyes, all nervousness evaporating from them.

"I want you to have this." He says, reaching into the pocket of his jacket, revealing a worn looking silver ring.

"Isn't that your mother's ring?" I questioned.

"It is. I've kept it ever since she died, waiting for the right person to come along. And here you are."

Tears start to well in my eyes. Was this man, Poe Dameron, asking me to-

"Yes, Poe!" I let out through strangled, happy sobs. "I love you."

The pilot gently cups my cheek, and closes the distance between us.

"I love you too."

A/N

Well... there's my first romance... I had a really hard time writing Poe and Rey in this kind of situation, so they aren't really written up to par... that's probably gonna bug me and I'm probably gonna fix it eventually, but I felt like writing this today. It was raining and cold so this is what happened. Anyway, feedback is always appreciated, as well as ideas/requests!

May the Force be with You!