Death Is Just Another Path - Chapter 2

I felt my body freeze as if it were a giant block of ice. A feeling of panic settled inside of me. The noises around me were drowned out by the thumping of my own heartbeat, loud in my ears. A lump formed in my throat. I couldn’t believe it. “What did you just say?” I asked my Dad in a panicked voice.

“I don't even know what to say.” He sounded very shocked. I didn’t believe what I was hearing. “I’m going to call your mother..” He muttered to me as he started dialing my Mom’s number.

I didn't know what to say. I felt numb with shock as everything sunk in.

I ran up to Rory's room where he was sat at his desk his homework. I stood beside him and started crying terribly. He looked up with wide eyes and asked me why I was crying.

“A-a-ask Dad.” I sobbed. He got up from his chair and ran to where my Dad was.

“Dad?! What happened? Why’s Leah crying?” He yelled as he went to go find my dad. I ran to my room and hid under the covers. I wiped my tear-stained cheeked and sobbed into my pillow until emotional exhaustion overcame me.

Soon I was in a deep sleep and didn’t wake up for hours.

   **

Some time later I woke up and the events that had happened previously all came rushing back, which sprung a fresh set of tears. I rubbed my eyes and rolled over under the covers and looked over at my alarm clock, it read 8:26 PM. Great, I slept through dinner... Suddenly, my door carefully opened, and Rory walked in. “Hey” he said quietly as he sat down on the edge of my bed, “why don’t you come downstairs and have something to eat? Mom’s at the hospital with the Hatley family.”

“How’s Mr. Hatley?” I whispered as I removed the covers from ontop of me.

“He’s fine” he replied with a small smile.

I breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s great, I’m so glad, I didn’t know how serious the injuries were.” I murmured as I made my way down the stairs.  I suspected I wasn’t going to school tomorrow.

**

At around 9:30 the next morning, I woke up to my Mom nudging me awake. It was the first time I’d seen her since the day before. I sat up in bed and let her hug me tightly. Tears streamed down my face, as I thought about Tess. I didn’t even get to say goodbye.

“Since school is the last thing on everyone’s mind at the moment, I think we should go over to the Hatley's house. Mr. Hatley is out of the hospital, and you can be with Jenn and Tina.” She said to me, as she rubbed her eyes.

“Yeah, I think they'd appreciate the comfort.” I agreed.

I showered, got dressed and we drove to the Hatley’s house, which was packed with many people giving their condolences. But I mainly stayed there to comfort Jenn and Tina, Tess's sisters. I couldn't even imagine how hard it must be for them right now.