"I said that I didn't mean it," Scarlett said firmly.

He turned to look at her noticing the confusing look in her eyes. He had been lost in thought because of Dawn. He couldn't even get back in the playful mood he was in a minute ago.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm good." He nodded at her to leave the elevator first when they arrived at the lobby, he placed his hand on her lower back to guide her to the awaiting car, "I know you didn't mean it. It just dragged on without anyone agreeing. I'm sure the pitch will give us a better perspective."

She glanced at him, "We should get some food in you."

He chuckled, shaking his head at her, "Probably."

They climbed into the car. He made reservations at an Italian restaurant he often visited with his family. The owner knew him quite well. It would be comfortable and he'd be able to talk to Scarlett about plotting against his mother. It didn't even make him feel upset. After this, he hoped things would change when it came to his mother's need to marry him off like they still lived in the nineteenth century.

"You made reservations?" Scarlett asked.

"It's a place I visit often."

She grinned at him, her grin reminded him of Michael a little. She was way cuter though.

"So you're taken me to your special place?" She asked, "I feel honored."

Of course, she was back to her old self, she pulled herself back together quite fast. It was admirable. She also managed to make him smile again. She noticed the little glint in her eyes told him so. They shared a little smile. He then tore his gaze away from her and looked out the window.

"I suppose it is my special place. I visit it quite often with my family."

"Now I definitely feel honored."

They shared a little laugh. The mood between them so much better. He couldn't understand why he was always able to banter with Scarlett. They behaved like long lost friends. She understood what he needed with just a simple look while they met like only a few days ago. He couldn't place it what it was about Scarlett. What made her so special.

"I've decided what I want as a compensation."

Lucian raised an eyebrow at him, "Oh, then don't leave me in suspense."

"One day a week I get to work from home. Lara made it clear that I always need to be at the office, ready to tackle every emergency thrown at you but I'm sure that I can manage with just one day a week working from home."

"I'm sure that can be arranged."

She looked taken back with him agreeing without hesitation. He didn't doubt her though. He knew she was capable of getting work done from home. He could manage without her at the office every day of the week.

"I think we should stop. I'm sure at this point you'd even transfer a million dollars to my account if I asked you to. Maybe there was something weird in your coffee. I need to be more careful with the refreshments at the office."

She was joking to brush off the awkwardness she was feeling. He thought it was adorable at how she didn't allow herself to be wowed by him. She struggled to keep things professional between them. He wanted that from the start but somehow he saw her more as a friend already. Their weekend away would either make things even better between them or it would mess things up. They had to tread carefully.

***

Lucian was sipping his champagne. He went all out tonight, it wasn't a special occasion but there didn't need to be a special occasion to enjoy some bubbles. The smile plastered on Scarlett's face told him that she enjoyed it too. The mood was good, they were getting to know each other. Dinner was anything but professional. They were chatting away as friends. The weekend trip was forgotten. It was getting late, nearing ten in the evening. He didn't want to ruin the mood but they did need to be prepared when facing his mother.