Chapter Eight

When the twister hit the spring and fall sections, the lake in the spring section had been left untouched, where Dani and Michael were still hiding out. When they saw the tornado chasing the careers, they made a bold move to escape their cove, and ran to the career's camp, mooching some food and supplies from them, carrying them back to the cove. They took enough to survive, but enough for the careers to notice. Not immediately, anyways. They had to wait for their body guard, District 8 tribute Jake, to step away.

In order for that to happen, Michael had set a trap in the fields, and set it off himself by hurling a rock over toward it. Jake fell for it, and as soon as he did, they made their move, swiftly and quietly. Back at their cove, Dani and Michael sorted out what they had stolen from the careers and enjoyed a few apples from their stock. "So, do you think there will be a blood bath?" Dani asks him.

"Oh, most definitely." They were certainly right. The careers had taken out one of the triple alliance members, but lost two of their own at a cost. 

Now, the triple alliance were planning on moving out to the Cornucopia in search of the gasoline that they needed to set the fire ablaze. Sneaking around, they arm themselves for combat if needed. Luke walks close by Karalyn, who kept her eyes searching frantically for any sign of danger. She had given Kendahl the flask, and asked her to guard it with her life. Rhett stood by her for protection. 

"We're going to get those careers, and make them pay," Karalyn scowled. Luke put a hand on her shoulder.

"It's going to be okay," he whispers.

"We need to avenge him. They have to pay for what they've done," she argues.

"I'm not saying you're wrong, but they're only playing the games. This is what happens," Luke frowns.

"Well, what if it didn't have to? What if for once, no one fought? They just stood there, and did nothing? What if we had control of the games for once?"

"Then we could all leave this place alive," Luke simply states.

"I wish." Continuing on to the Cornucopia, the triple alliance stop, Rhett having heard noises in the trees.

"Wait..." he warns them. Coming down from one of the trees was District Tweleve's tribute, Ashton. The tripple alliance pointed their weapons at him, yet no one struck. His hands were raised above his hands in defense. 

"I'm not here for a fight," he says. "But you've caught me, and I figured I might as well talk."

"What are you doing here?" Karalyn asks, her knife still pointed at him. Ashton makes a move toward her and she jerks forward, warning him not to come closer. Kendahl stands behind Rhett, protecting the flask.

"Another step and we'll use it one you," Kendahl gestures. It's a total bluff, but she's hoping that he will buy it. 

"I want to join you,' he tells them. 

"Like I believe that for one second," Karalyn challenges him.

"Relax, cupcake, you can't use that flask on me anyway, because I know that you can't get it to ignite." Luke steps forward, looking him up and down.

"So what, you've been following us?" he asks.

"Not purposely," he shrugs. "But if you're planning on taking out the careers, I want in."

"I don't know if we can trust him," Rhett says. "He killed his own District partner."

"So we all make mistakes," Ashton defends himself. "Trust me, you would too, if you had no idea who they were anyways, and if they were going to get you killed."