PART 02

After living a long and happy life in the forest, the armadillo realised that he was close to death and returned to the town.  The musician made him welcome and explained that after the armadillo died, he would make a wonderful stringed instrument from his shell and travel all through the land playing music to all the people and animals.  This made the armadillo very happy and he died with a smile on his face at the thought of how he would at long last achieve his greatest wish.

So the musician did as he had promised and made a beautiful harp from the shell of the armadillo and he travelled all over the land playing sweet music in memory of the armadillo.

Sometimes the musician would play his instrument by the pond where the frogs lived, and they would stare at him with big eyes and say: “Listen! The armadillo has finally learned to sing.”

Sometimes the musician would play his instrument by the trees where the crickets lived, and they would creep outside to stare at him with big eyes and say: “Listen! The armadillo sings so beautifully.”

And often the musician would visit the town where the canaries now lived in cages in the windows of all the houses and the little birds twittered to each other in amazement: “Listen! The armadillo makes the most beautiful music in the whole forest now.”

And so it was. The armadillo had learned to sing at last, and his voice was the finest in the land

                        THE END