Chapters 11-19: Sleep-Walking

Start from the beginning

IN THE ORIGINAL VERSIONS HOWEVER, I WAS NEVER GOING TO WRITE ANY OF THE COUNSELING SESSIONS! NONE OF THE THERAPY, GROUNDING AND BREATHING TECHINIQUES, NOTHING!!!

Writing Process (For the First-Draft):

The beginning of the story was really based around the sole fact that I wanted more about the Sides' relations than just what had been given to us during Virgil's redemption arch. (As I stated before, Fitting In and any of the videos beyond that had not yet been posted.) Now I wanted Virgil to make a clear effort of trying and contribute to the group, and that's when he discovers that the others have these subconscious fears.

Ironically, just like Virgil states in the story, I originally wanted to give each of them one fear, but upon looking for the names of said fears...try as I might, I couldn't find them. (This would be the first of many bumps in the road to Sleep-Walking's completion; so, here is a tidbit no one asked for; there is a word for the fear of food; Cibophobia, literally something we need to survive, but there is no word for the fear of being worthless. Trust me, I looked for hours.) All jokes aside, much like Virgil, I found myself compiling lists which when put together would make up the singular fear I had intended upon. Finally after that hiccup, I was back on track...or so I thought.

I knew even way back when the First Draft was written I wanted Virgil to be very detail oriented, and capable of picking up on the smallest of things which the others would normally miss...which would lead to so many issues later on, but I didn't know that then. That's why he first hears the footsteps, his wariness is the reason he didn't pursue them before. Once he knows what he wants to do to help the others however, there is no stopping him. He becomes so focused on his work, certain that his is how he will get into the other's good graces.

Writing Process (For the Final Draft):

Many of the topics I covered in the First Draft obviously still played a role, but working on the Final Draft is where many of my personal issues begin.

Upon going back to work on this story after letting it just sit on the back-burner for a year, I thought I would just pick up where I left off...but no, just no. I quickly realized that the writing was drastically different betweenthe First Draft, (which if you recall was written around the same time as Saddened Patton) and what you all know to be Sleep-Walking. (Don't believe me, try reading the two back-to-back.) I had come so far, and learned so much while working on the stories in between that I soon came to the realization that the writing in what would later be the first half (at the time it was the first third) was simply not up to par with my current works. I was heart-broken, and almost put the story down there, but I decided on another option, which turned out great for everyone involved...but me.

I elected to trash the first third of the story, and start over from scratch, hardly even using the original as reference. In the end Sleep-Walking's overall quality improved by ten-fold or more, and I am proud of what it became, but it was not worth the stress and hell I put myself through trying to get it finished. Now, at this point I feel it is important for me to note that I hadn't even alluded to my readers yet (on any platform) that I was working on Sleep-Walking...as far as you all knew, I was just working on my next run-of-the-mill story. My point is, I had no deadline or expectations to meet, and yet I ran myself into the ground trying to get it done. (This will be elaborated on this later.) I wish I could give you all examples of the First Draft, but sadly, despite looking through every document and notebook I have, I simply couldn't find any of them. I honestly think they got tossed in a major clean-up of my room, which depresses me.

My Thought Processes While Writing the Final Draft of Sleep-Walking:

Important things to keep in mind while reading this section: