Chapter 4

My mind was racing. I have no idea what came over me back there. I'm hardly ever the possessive type of person; but when it comes to Serenity, all of that changes. When I'm into someone, I don't half ass things. I wear my heart on my sleeve and not much will get in my way. She just showed up in my life again, and she's already squeezing her way back into my heart. And she doesn't even know it. But I don't even know if it's worth the risk of diving into. I can't let myself get so hung up on her if she's not going to reciprocate feelings.

I stood outside Serenity's door and strolled down the hallway to head to the elevator. It was around 9 pm, so I wasn't surprised to see the halls empty on a Friday night. Everyone was probably out having fun, partying, doing drugs, or having sex; except for me.

I pressed the button for the elevator, and while I was waiting, I looked down at my attire and just shook my head. I look so silly, wearing a button up shirt and basketball shorts. What a goof.

"Was it business casual day at work?" a female's voice spoke, coming from my right side. I looked up and saw a fairly young lady, maybe 24 or so, approach the elevator. She wasn't tall, maybe 5'5" or something, definitely shorter than Serenity. She had brown curly hair that stopped at around her chest, dressed in a simple black v-neck paired with some blue skinny jeans and black heels. She was a darker skin color compared to Serenity's olive complexion.

Why the hell am I comparing her to Serenity?

I looked down again and chuckled to myself. "Oh no, I just had an incident after work and had to change my pants." I heard her laugh, and she reached to press the button as well. Why the hell is this elevator taking so long?

"So did you just move in? I haven't seen you around here before, and I would've remembered a face like yours if you did." She flashed her pearly white teeth at me. Was she flirting with me? I saw her fidgeting with the strap of her purse as she awaited my answer.

"No, I didn't. I just came and dropped off a friend. I live about two blocks away," I could definitely try and get with her, but I don't know if want to or not. It's still early in the night, and I could just hit up a booty call or something later, "I'm Ezekiel by the way, but everyone calls me Zeke." I extended my hand out to her and she shook my hand with her dainty one. Doing that thing females do, where they only put like their fingers in the handshake.

"Nice to meet you Zeke, I'm Denise." she flashed me her bright smile again, her dimples catching my attention. We heard a ding and finally got in the elevator. I pressed the lower level and waited.

"So, do you have a date right now?" She looked at me kind of puzzled and laughed.

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, you're casually dressed, but you paired your outfit with some heels. Making a small attempt to not come off as too casual, and to demonstrate that you somewhat attempted to dress up." I said calmly. She smirked to herself and just stared at me.

"Well, well, well. I did not expect that, but you're weirdly correct. It's just a first date, and I didn't want to make it seem like I didn't care about it, you know?" I nodded at her. "Do you have any plans for the night?" she looked straight at me, with a small smile.

"No, not really. I'll probably just go home and relax. Maybe call someone over to come 'chill'." I shot her a sideway glance. She looked down to the ground and chuckled.

"Okay Mr. Player. Out here breaking girls hearts and everything." that made me release a genuine laugh.

"Oh no, I don't break hearts Denise," the door to the elevator opened and we both walked out and headed to the front entrance, "I just break backs. You have a nice date now." I shot her my signature smile and saw her eyes widen a bit. I gave her a small wave and walked out of the building.