Chapter four - The subject of gossip

Start from the beginning

Diana nodded with enthusiasm. "I told Mrs North what Belle had said about Mr. Fielding being the new steward, and she seemed miffed that Sir Henry hadn't seen fit to inform her of it. She said he treated Mr. Fielding more like a friend than an employee, and even lent him the use of his valet."

"May he not be both friend and steward to Sir Henry?" Anabelle wondered aloud. "Perhaps they met at university. It is not unknown for young men to form an acquaintance with those who can assist their future careers, or for gentlemen to sponsor friends who are in less fortunate circumstances than themselves. Could not one friend be helping another?"

Her step-mother nodded. "Aye, that is likely the way it was. Sir Henry is helping an acquaintance to make his way in the world by giving him a position on his new estate."

Marianne, who until now had remained quiet at her mother's side, raised her head. "The Reverend says it is beholden on all men of stature to assist their associates in time of need. It bodes well for Sir Henry's character that he should behave so charitably."

"But what of Mr. Fielding's character?" Selina looked to her sister. "Belle, what did you think of him? Is he very different from Mr. Burgin?"

Anabelle could not forget how different the steward's countenance and figure had been from the previous incumbent; indeed, the memory of his dark gaze sent a shiver down her back. However, his noble countenance and admirable efficiency could not entirely temper his arrogance in questioning her right to assist with the running of her father's estate. "He is certainly an improvement on Mr. Burgin, but I was too busy thinking of Mr. Sutton's poor cattle to pay much attention to Mr. Fielding. He seems to be an efficient steward, although I suspect his manner can be haughty and overbearing. I saw no real deficiency in his dress. In fact, he appeared quite à la mode."

Diana sniffed. "You cannot judge a man by the quality of his clothes alone. All young men these days aspire to copy the fashionable set and think nothing of running up dreadful debts to their tailor."

Mrs Latimer searched for the needle she had dropped in the folds of her dress. "He no doubt feels the pressure of taking on a position from an older, wiser and more experienced practitioner, especially if he has to contend with a house full of new servants besides. 'Tis a shame we know nothing of himself or his background. I wonder where he comes from."

Selina guessed his father might be an attorney. Diana countered with the thought that Mr. Fielding could be the younger son of an Admiral who preferred a career on land to one at sea. Anabelle entered into the spirit of things, putting forward her own idea. "He could be the youngest son of a poor country gentleman whose expectations are not large enough to provide him with a satisfactory income and needs to supplement it with a profession."

"He should have bought a commission in the army," Diana sighed. "There's nothing like a young man in regimentals."

"Well, my dears," Mrs Latimer said, "With only a steward's salary his family background makes no matter. Unless he is waiting upon a large inheritance from an elderly spinster aunt, then he can be nothing to Sir Henry. Mr. Burgin received eighty pounds a year from old Sir George; although if some of the stories are true he took a little more for himself, which is no doubt why he left so suddenly."

Anabelle shook her head. "Everyone knows Sir George begrudged even coal for the fire. He never paid more than he had to. Surely his nephew must be more generous with his wages."

"It hardly matters. Even if Mr. Fielding is paid twice that sum it still falls far short of what Mr. Latimer would wish for any of his daughters. Why should we concern ourselves over a steward's lot? You ought to be thinking more of the master. If he is truly as handsome as everyone claims then we must make his acquaintance as soon as possible. It is too long since we had an eligible bachelor living in the neighbourhood.