"So now you're following Sirius around?"

"No, I'm following James. I'm also helping Jily happen."

"That's not fair! You have to let it happen."

"You're helping him with school work."

"What do you have against him?"

"His nose."

"That's just mean. Well, happy stalking, Bath."

"That's a cool name. See you later, Mama Bird." She laughs and runs after James, who has Herbology next.

"What was that about?"

"That was Hazel."

"She really doesn't like me, does she?"

"She's more into James and Sirius. Come on, you don't want to be late for potions."

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

Severus's POV

Today, I leave to go home, but instead of being excited like the other kids, I'm scared.

Mama Bird still wants to come, and I know I can't stop her. She's already talked to Dumbledore, and he says that he will go along with her plan.

I'm scared about what's going to happen. I know her, and she won't be able to stop herself.

Belle's POV

Severus is quiet on the train. It's just me and him this time, since Lily is with her other friends. I'm in my owl form, and Severus has decided to call me Snowy.

How ironic.

I'm on his shoulder, and from time to time I'll give a soft hoot. It makes him smile a bit. I don't understand why he's so worried. They won't find out.

After a few hours, the train pulls to a stop and I get off Severus's shoulder while he gets his trunk. He then holds out his shoulder for me to get back on, and I fly over to him.

This is going to be fun.

He gets out, and finds his mother. She eyes me warily.

"Where did you get that?"

"Her name is Snowy. Professor Dumbledore gave her to me. I don't know why, though." He says, like we rehearsed. "She even goes outside when she needs to go."

"Alright. As long as she can get her own food and get along with Woody, I guess she'll be fine. Come on, your father isn't home yet."

Severus becomes slightly uncomfortable at the mention of his father.

They floo to Spinner's end, and Severus takes me straight to his room.

I can still mind speak when I'm an owl, by the way.

Okay. Good.

What's up with your father?

I don't like talking about it.

I fly to his shoulder.

I guess I'll find out.

I really hope not.

Should I be scared?

No.

Let me rephrase. Should I be scared for you?

Good question. Maybe.

That doesn't sound too good.

You got that right. If we're lucky, you won't find out until tomorrow.

That night, he tells his mother he's going to bed early. It's not like him to do this. Normally at school he stays awake as long as possible.

When he's asleep, I fly down to the living room. In there, Eileen Snape sits with a book. I give her a soft hoot and she looks at me, almost smiling.

Almost.

"Hey, little owl."

I hoot in reply.

"It's almost like you can understand people. Is that why Dumbledore gave you to Severus?"

I fly to her shoulder. She strokes my feathers.

"Tobias will be home soon. I do hope he hasn't been drinking again." She sighs. I cock my head. "When he does come, he won't be happy to see you here, little bird."

I can deal with it.

"That's funny. I could have sworn I heard a voice in my head. I'm probably just tired. Go back to Severus. I think Tobias is here."

I hoot one last time and fly down the hallway, back to Severus's room. He opens his eyes.

"Is he home yet?" He whispers.

I think he's just arrived. Your mother's pretty scared. So am I.

He sighs.

My father hits us sometimes, after he comes back from the pub.

You mean he's an abusive alcoholic?

Please don't say it like that.

I change into my human form and turn invisible, then sit on his bed.

You didn't want me to find out, in case I lost my cool.

Yes.

But he can't keep hitting you, Severus.

Just promise me you won't jump in. Do what you want after, but don't stop him. He'd hurt you too.

I promise.

I take off the charm, and turn back into an owl.

Where are you going?

I know where your other owl is. I'll be in there.

How did you know we have an owl room?

I'll explain another time. Good night, Baby Bird.

_____________________________________________

The whole dad thing wasn't my idea, but I think it was needed.

Please don't hate me!

QOTC: what would you do if you knew you had one day to live?

Please vomment!

~Ericano