The Other Side

AUTHORS NOTE: just so people don't get confused, I wanted to clear something up. We skip ahead to a couple of months in all of which Andrew is dealing with his fathers death. We see the other side, where Thasma is introduced princess of the little people. Yes, they are real in the story and not just a bed time story for Andrew. Enjoy, vote, comment or become a fan if you like to read more of it.

"Princess Thasma, the queen asks for you to join her in the conference room." The servant bowed again and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Mama asking me to join her in the conference room. That did not seem normal since she never saw me as old enough to be involved in an adult conference. I had been to that room only once and even then it was not like I was invited to it. I still remember bursting through the double doors. I was only 7 and panic was flowing in every part of my body. I told my parents of my brother who had just slipped on the stairs and was bleeding. The faces of my parents, still fresh mind. My mother was concerned and teary while my father had turned shades of red that I had never seen. You would think that as being a princess I would be allowed to go anywhere and do anything I want, but that is not how I was raised.

I got up from my bed and walked to the bathroom. I had to look presentable since it was the first time I had been invited to the conference room. I looked into the mirror; a girl with piercing green eyes stared back at me. Her black hair aimlessly lying on her shoulders turning and twisting in their natural curls. They say that I have my mother's features, but the personality of my father. It's a good thing most of the time, but useless in front of Papa. We never saw things eye to eye. He always saw me as a weak and empty-headed girl who could never reach his expectations. Mama only helped this cause by always making me wear dresses and taking part in other counterproductive activities.

I fixed up my blue skirt smoothing out all creases. The crystal necklace also needed to be in its place. I had worn the necklace as far back I could remember. They say it gives us magical abilities when it believes you are well deserved of them. I had not achieved that greatness yet seeing all I did was become a perfect lady. I gave myself a last look deciding that my hair should be left open, how mama preferred it and then left the room.

We are not like the other kingdoms. We are more like a big family and where everyone is treated equal. We did have some advantages like having the opportunity to live in the castle, but that got boring after some time. You could only see the same rooms and tapestries so many times. Many people still come to enjoy them, see the courtyards or just come and relax.

I hated one thing about these castles that is these long walks. The conference room was on the other side of the castle and getting there would take about 10 minutes. The stones walls seemed to go on forever before you could reach the place you want to get to.The hallways were not bright and full of joy like always, somehow it seemed gloomy. Were the torches hooked on the wall not lit or the fire in them just too low? There is something going on because even the people in the hallway who were often so elated now looked troubled and stressed. What is going on? I know I am missing out on a major event like I always did.

"Good afternoon princess," my gown dresser said in a distressed tone. Even she seemed sad.

"Good afternoon Mila," I greeted her and then quickened my pace. Something was really wrong.

I reached the conference room doors. The guards gave me a small smile and then nodded at each other. They pushed open the double doors revealing the great table inside and the people around it. I stepped it to the room and suddenly felt the full weight of their gazes. Scanning the room looking for someone and my eyes fell on the guy that was sitting next to my father. He had the same green eyes as me. His dark hair was shaggy and looked as if he never combed. He too wore his necklace, but his had only one long crystal attached to it. My brother. He gave me a small welcoming smile; in return I gave him a weak one back.

"So nice of you to finally join us, come have a seat." Mama voice said across from my brother.

She gave me a big smile, and motioned towards the antique looking chair next to her. Mama was sitting at the further end of the table, so I had to cross all the ancient looking people in between. Many of the council members rarely came out in the public so the feeling of seeing them felt surreal. I tried making my walk as graceful and strong as possible. They still had their eyes on me and I had to look strong even if I was uneasy inside. After all it is my first time being invited here. Finally I reached the chair and sat down.

"As I was saying, we should first send a look out party to see how the traps are. Also we have to check if they are around hiding or not" Papa said in a stern voice.

The meeting kept on going. They talked about tall things called trees and many of them which will contain the traps. I did not have the slightest idea of what he was saying nor did he bother to explain anything. He did not even make any eye contact with me, am I invisible to him. After another 10 long minutes of the rambling about creatures called humans and their traps I could not take it anymore. If he invited me to the meeting the least he could do is tell me what the heck is going on here. I saw a chance in his ongoing speech and took it.

"Papa, can you please fill me in on what we are getting ourselves ready for?"

Absolute quiet crept over the room.I regretted the words the moment they came out of my mouth. I should have just stayed quiet. I should have put on a façade and acted as if I knew what the meeting is about, but now it was too late.

He turned his head to look at me his eyes opened wide with shock and anger. "The humans have started another war with us!". He was forcing himself to be calm. Trying hard not to lose it in front of the council members.

I am so stupid. How could I not put two and two together.