Just Say One Word

Start from the beginning

This was difficult to do. Even though they lived like virtual strangers, whenever they were together she would find herself staring at him at a crowded social gathering, watching his mouth as he smiled or spoke to someone, the graceful way he moved across a room or held a drink, hearing his deep voice raised in laughter at a joke.

She tried also to steel herself against the tormenting pangs of jealousy that assailed her when she saw him dancing or talking with other women! She couldn't bear to see the way his eyes lit up and the firm mouth softened when a beautiful woman put a hand on his arm as she spoke to him, or around his neck while dancing with him.

By now the fall social season in New York was in full swing, with Margaret, of course, in the vanguard. One of her first forays into action was to hold a dinner dance at the hotel in honor of a freshman senator from California. She had rented one of the smaller dining rooms for the occasion and had kept her plans for decoration a mysterious secret.

Of course, she insisted that Matthew and Jennifer attend, and on that Saturday night they dutifully presented themselves at the appointed hour. They stepped into a room decorated in a modified disco fashion. The pop band was blaring in the already crowded room, and a brilliant strobe lamp flashed swiftly changing colors over the dancers and the band.

'How do you like it?' Margaret cried when she greeted them.

'It's-overwhelming,' Jennifer said dubiously, glancing around in dismay. The music was deafening.

Isn't it wonderful?' Margaret was clearly pleased with the sensation she was causing. She leaned closer and lowered her voice. 'It's only for immediate effect. Shock value. I've arranged with the band to tone it down to our usual speed as soon as everyone loosens up.'

She had arranged the tables so that a small circular area next to the bandstand was cleared for dancing, and a few hardy couples were out there now attempting the modern dance steps to the pounding beat of the rock music.

There were brightly colored placemats on the tables and little flickering lamps in odd plastic shapes. A buffet was set up at the far end of the room next to the bar, where champagne, martinis, and scotch were dispensed freely by a bored-looking bartender in a white coat.

As they followed Margaret to their table, Jennifer saw several familiar faces. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, she thought, as she smiled and waved at the people she knew. Lara Jones was there with the senator from California in tow. And David was on the dance with a young Congresswoman from Georgia.

'Just do your own thing,' Margaret said as she pointed out their table. 'This is a loose party. Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty, and dance when the spirit moves you.'

With that, she fluttered off into the crowd to greet the latest arrivals.

William was sitting stiffly at the table, red-faced and uncomfortable. 'Well,' he said miserably as they joined him, 'what do you think of your sister's latest escapade?'

Poor William, Jennifer thought. He had a lot to contend with. 'It's interesting,' she hedged, glancing around at the crowd.

'I think you can trust Margaret,' Matthew said unexpectedly. 'She knows what she's doing.'

William sighed and shook his head. 'I don't know: It's those boys of ours. Told us we were so far behind the times we were growing mold. Margaret takes as gospel every word they utter. Says we've got to keep up with the Times.'

Taking her cue from Matthew, Jennifer put a hand on William's arm and said, 'You just wait, William. Soon every society hostess in the city will be putting on disco parties. Margaret is a pacesetter, not a follower. You know that.'