Epilogue

Jennifer awoke the next morning to the pale November sunshine spilling into the bedroom through the thin curtains at the window.

She stretched luxuriously, still half-asleep, sated with pleasurable content. As she moved, she felt a heaviness on her body, and suddenly became aware of an arm thrown across her, a large hand clasping her possessively around the waist.

The memory came flooding back, and with a little smile, she glanced down at the dark head of her sleeping husband burrowed in her neck, his long body curled against her. She could feel his even breath on her skin, the Steady heartbeat under her arm.

Carefully, so as not to disturb him and shatter the precious moment, she reached over and gently smoothed the dark hair, tousled over his forehead now in sleep. He stirred slightly, and the hand on her waist tightened as he shifted closer to her, his mouth nuzzling the hollow of her neck under her jaw.

Then he opened his eyes, blinked, and looked up at her, smiling. 'Good morning, darling,' he said in a low voice. He raised himself up on one elbow and bent down to kiss her lightly on the mouth.

The hand began moving now, traveling over her. She reached out and held it firmly in place.

'Before you get too engrossed in that,' she said firmly, 'I have a question to ask you.' His mouth was at her now. 'Ask away,' he murmured against it.

'How would you like to be a father?' she asked quickly. His mouth was creating a disturbance in her bloodstream, and soon it would be too late for discussion.

'Mm,' he said. 'Any time you like.'

Now his tongue was making circles on her neck, and she knew she was almost lost. She put her arms around his broad, strong back and held him tightly.

'How about roughly seven months from now?' she said with a sigh of contentment.

His mouth stilled for a moment, then abruptly the dark head came up. He stared down at her.

'What did you say?'

'Ah,' she said with a smile. 'That got your attention, didn't it?'

'Do you mean it?' She nodded gravely.

He gathered her into his arms and held her close, and as she nestled contentedly against him, her heart almost bursting with love and joy, she thought about the habit of loving, as necessary to her existence as breathing, and turned her head to welcome her husband's kiss.

The End...

  " Love Does That. It Changes Us.