Ch. 11. 1 Compromised

Start from the beginning

"They said that the doctor said she was stable enough to be moved.  No one told us anything about that.  I don't trust any of them."

"Rile has a point about leaving Alex in the townhouse, though.  Where will we get the medicines she needs?" Cale asked. He walked behind the couch and leaned over to feel Alex's pulse in her neck.

Gabe made no move to stop him. "I didn't think of that."    

Grange let himself in, despite a bigger, better lock. He stood still, hands up, when three pairs of angry eyes fixed on him, and three hands went to their weapons.

"That's really annoying," Rile said.

"Fortunately, you're predictable," Grange said. "Give me the short version of what happened since you refuse to call me."

***

Grange refrained from smoking during the story. Stupid habit. He reminded himself again that Brockner smoked. Best deterrent. 

At the end, he said, "I don't suppose you want me to arrange another safe house."

"Since it turned out so well the last time," Rile said. "You didn't tell us you were moving Alex."

"I wasn't. Disturbing," Grange said. "This adds another layer of betrayal to investigate. As for Alex, I'll arrange for a home health nurse to administer the IV antibiotics until we can switch her to oral meds."

"We won't let anyone else know where we live," Gabe said. "Your medical staff is compromised."

"True." Grange pulled out a cigarette but after a moment, crushed it instead of lighting it.

Alex sat up on the couch and put her hand to her forehead for a moment.  "I'll take oral meds now. I can eat and drink, so there's no need for the IV's."

Calm Alex resurfaced, as she usually did around medical or scientific issues. "I'll be fine here. You can take me to rechecks with another physician."

"With a suitable escort," Rile said. He approached her again, but again, Gabe blocked him.

"Of course. I'd like to sleep now." Alex swung her legs over the edge of the couch and steadied herself.

No one questioned Alex's priorities. Sleep was always right up there. Gabe was quick to hold her hand when she stood. She accepted his help with dignity and limped into the bedroom.

"I'll fill her meds myself," Grange offered.

***

Back in his nondescript office, Grange drummed his fingers on his nondescript desk, waiting for the antibiotics to be delivered.

A man in faded jeans and an LSU 'eye of the tiger' T-shirt strolled into his office after a perfunctory knock.

"Thanks for coming, Gaston." Grange indicated a chair. "I need FBI for this. Josef Hermann will pay for what happened to Alex. Morgan committed the actual abuse, but Josef Hermann is almost as guilty."

Gaston smiled and instead sat on his desk. "No problem. We shared some wild days at LSU.  You helped me wise up and moved us into an apartment together before I flunked out," Gaston said. "Josef Hermann is a drug lord? Odd name. Never ran across it."

"It's a side job for him. He's a professor at Tulane, specialty is herpetology. He manufacturers the drugs to raise money for research. Tulane either doesn't know about it or doesn't have enough hard evidence to dismiss him." Grange pushed a computer tablet across the desk.

Gaston read it for several minutes, swinging his leg. "You've done all the work. I just need to pick him up and gift wrap him. Maximum sentences, several consecutive. He won't get out until he needs a walker."

"I owe Alex that much," Grange said.

"Tell me about this Alex. Why does she receive the platinum treatment? Girlfriend? Old lover? Pregnant with your love child?" Gaston smiled wider.

"Not romantic. Can't tell you more than that," Grange said with regret.

"Say no more." Gaston picked up the tablet and stood. "One drug lord herpetologist taken down." He winked at Grange and strolled out the door.

*****

A/N

Alex and Gabe are saving each other again! Does it work as a nice echo? Or not?

I thought the music video was eerily appropriate. Do you agree?

If you enjoyed the chapter, please consider clicking the star below yellow! I appreciate it more than I can say!

Dedicated to AlimaKhanBharath
Thanks for all the reads and votes !