He noticed the glint in her eyes. He had her attention, that was a good thing he hoped.

"Yet I have no intention of getting married just yet. I also don't like my mother forcing herself into my dating life. That's personal and she has no business in it."

"I agree," Scarlett muttered.

"I've told her before but she brushed it off."

Scarlett smiled at him, her smile didn't quite reach her eyes though. It made her seem cold and distant, completely different from the woman who warmly smiled at his brother before.

"Mothers tend to be like that."

"Kim's mom isn't like that. She's a lovely woman." He noticed the confused look in her eyes so he quickly elaborated on that, "Kim is Noah's wife."

Scarlett nodded, her eyes glittering mischievously at him, "Your mom isn't a lovely woman?"

He could hear the laughter in Scarlett's voice. She was teasing him so he didn't take the bait.

"Mom is lovely but also pushy." He leaned back in his chair, "But that's not what I wanted to discuss. So it turns out my lovely mother is plotting against me."

Scarlett's neatly groomed eyebrows shot up, "Oh, like an evil villain?" She asked.

He was aware of what she was referring to but he couldn't indulge her. Her teasing was getting to him and that wasn't right.

"Miss Archer." He warned her.

They weren't close enough to tease each other like that. It was also unprofessional. He needed to put a stop to it now. He was aware that what he was about to ask of her wasn't professional either but a little reminder to both of them to take on the roles of employer and employee was probably a good thing.

"Sorry." Smiled.

She wasn't sorry at all, that smile and the mischievous look in her eyes said it all.

He sighed but let it go, "This weekend my family will stay at our beach house. It's located on a private beach and we usually go there to spend some time together."

"Sounds like fun but you don't look like you want to go."

"You are right about that." He agreed, "Because she is going to invite a woman over I rather not meet. I'm upset she'd ruin our family time together by doing this and normally I'd go visit her and tell her so but she thinks that I'm not aware of this."

"I understand." He noticed how she straightened her shoulders, the amusement fading from her eyes. She was getting all serious and he rather liked that about her. She could drop the teasing act and focus on her job when it was needed, "What is it that you need of me, Mister Starr."

Straight to the point, maybe they wouldn't cross lines they shouldn't if she agreed to go with him to the beach house.

"I hate to ask this of you but I need to make a point." He hesitated despite Scarlett showing him that she was more than capable as his assistant, "Would you accompany me to the beach house this weekend? Mom hasn't called yet to invite me over but she will. I want to make her back off by showing up with someone I know won't make assumptions about this weekend."

Scarlett let her eyes wander over him, she looked pensive. He didn't blame her, it was a lot he asked of her.

"I suppose I can help you out, Mister Starr." Her lips tugged up to a smile, "But I'd like to get compensated for it."

"Of course."

She looked satisfied with his acceptance. It was the least he could do after asking her to get involved in his family matters.