Chapter 13: Hunting for Love

Start from the beginning

I put on dark tan pants with polished black boots and a plum colored blazer. The outfit sure to impress the nobility on the Royal Hunt.

As I emerge in my new outfit, I see Olivia pop back into the room stunned.

"Spiffy, don't you think?"

"It's like you stepped out of a Victorian painting." Hana grabs my hand and I spin around with a giggle.

"Please... Victorians haven't been in style for centuries." Olivia crosses her arms and blow out a sharp breath.

"Let's go riding!" I take Hana's arm and we walk out with confidence radiating from us.

I've just walked outside with Hana when Bertrand and Maxwell pull me over to the end of the walkway.

"There you are!"Bertrand's disappointing parent voice flows through.

"You found an outfit!" Maxwell takes my hands and gasps.

"What do you think?"

"Acceptable."

"Thanks Bertrand." I roll my eyes at him and Maxwell turns me toward him so I don't punch Bertrand.

"You look great, Riley."

"Yes, yes. Now if your ego is sufficiently tended to, we've another more pressing matter. Time is of the essence."

"Isn't it always with you?" Maxwell laughs and pulls me into a side hug.

"I noticed Prince Liam was preparing his ride when I went to inspect the mounts just now..."

For the first time in a while I smile at Bertrand, "...I take it that means I need to go find him?"

"Exactly. You should've been by his side ten minutes ago. Maxwell, take her to the stables."

"Yes, sir."

Maxwell rushes me over to the stables. Peering through the window, he surveys the stalls.

"Coast is clear. Prince Liam is alone. I'll stall anyone who tries to enter, you get in there and impress our Prince."

"As if I could do anything else."

I stride into the stables, startling a few horses in their stalls.

Prince Liam calms the black horse by petting her snout, "Good girl... here, have another apple."

"Preparing for the ride today?"

"Lady Riley! You have a habit of finding me when I'm alone."

"Hah, what strange coincidences."

"Hmm...coincidences? Or plans in disguise?"

"Let's not overthink things."

"I couldn't, even if I wanted to. My mind goes blank every time I see you."
Liam squeezes me into a tight embrace and I can't help but fall into his arms.
"I hope you're looking forward to the Royal Hunt today."

"I always look forward to spending time with you."

"I'll take that as a vote of confidence. But I know some people who don't do well with horses, and I've never seen you ride before."

"Horses are easy to ride. I basically became a centaur."

"Sounds like you know your way around a horse. Maybe I'll be asking you for the advice!"

"I take it you don't have a horse for the Royal Hunt yet?"

"Well... no..."

"Luckily for you, the crown has a number of fine steeds you can borrow for the day. Over here is Silver Star and Autumn Ember."