Mystery

Chapter Thirteen

"This is just so confusing," I said and leaned on Daddy's shoulder on my red couch at home. He was staying with me, along with Momma, until Jake got back from his meeting with the Pack; I refused to sleep at the mansion and they wouldn't let me sleep here alone; they were getting unnecessarily worried. Again.

"I know what you mean, sweetheart," he said and continued playing with my bronze curls."I can't even rationalize this."

"Neither can I," Momma joined the conversation as she looked out of our window."It can't be the purest of coincidences that, technically, a member of the Volturi would happen to work for a werewolf, that happens to be the only one related to us, the Cullens." Daddy smiled for some reason then got serious again.

"It most definitely isn't a coincidence," he said,"Sometimes I wonder..." he mused, trailing off. Momma turned to us.

"Wonder about what?" she asked and I asked the same question mentally. He sighed.

"Sometimes I wonder if her and Frederick are connected," he said and Momma and I exchanged quick glances automatically.

"How so?" Momma asked when I didn't have the courage to. I was getting dizzy at the subject itself. Daddy glanced down at me as if thinking about something before he answered.

"I don't know," he said with his poker face on and I immediately knew he was lying but decided not to say anything. I just shut my eyes and wished everything would disappear. Something about her, from the very beginning, told me not to be comfortable around her. Something warned me, an internal feeling, maybe. But I couldn't know for sure.

Frederick, on the other hand, made me feel like I was talking to an old friend. I had only met him three or four times but I already felt like I was talking to one of the Denalis or maybe even one of my own family. I never felt like he would be a reason something wrong happened, even though he was officially connected to the Volturi.

But, again, they both came around the same time...

"I want to go sleep," I whispered and opened my eyes. Momma looked at me sympathetically while Daddy helped me up silently and they both walked with me to bed. I hopped under the covers and held Jake's pillow to my chest. Daddy and Momma kissed my forehead.

"We'll be right outside if you need anything," Daddy reassured before he left and closed the door behind him. I closed my eyes and tried to think of something else.

Maybe I'd wake up tomorrow and find out all of this were results of hallucinations due to some hormonal error or something.

Only that it wasn't.

Jacob Black

I got back home after a very unsuccessful meeting with the Pack members; no one had any ideas about how to deal with this. All we decided that there would be always at least three at the borders of La Push as we can't detect this Morgan. I just couldn't believe what we had discovered.

I even felt sick to my core that, if we were never early today and if we never realized this behavior of hers, I might have actually left Nessie there and gone to get something or someone or anything. Alone and pregnant, with her. I would have left her alone with a bloodsucker and be happy about it, too.

Just the thought sent shivers down my spine. I thanked God for not letting anything of that sort happen. I found Edward and Bella cuddling on our couch.

"Hey," I said, heading directly towards our bedroom where I knew Nessie was.

"How did it go?" Bella asked. I turned my head to them.