Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

True to her word, Rose had returned to the house of her Aunt and Uncles. Though her aunt attempted to persuade her to return to the Cecil family - the girl refused. She didn't care about a reputation anymore or even the gossip of her failed marriage. What else more could she lose? She was most content in the household of her Aunt and Uncle after all.

"You can't stay here forever," her aunt chided as she combed her niece's hair.

"Why not? It's not like I'm needed."

"Don't be so childish Rose. I'm sure Lord Cecil would like his wife to be by his side."

"I am no wife to him."

"You're speaking quite irrationally dear... it is anger that's brewing in your heart."

Rose took no heed to her aunts words. "With me gone, he can have his mistresses."

"Mistresses?" A familiar voice intruded.

Never in a million years would Rose have believed it. But there before her very eyes was him. Rose hadn't seen her father in five years and as per usual he looked like he had never aged a day.

"I come back and my daughter's married, pregnant and run off from her wedded home! Why didn't anyone tell me about this?" He said with an exaggeration of extensive dramatics.

"Well it's not like one can send a letter." Her aunt muttered with an eyeroll.

"Margaret as sweet as ever," he said with a smile. Rose watched in amusement as her aunt ignored her father's saccharine tactics. The woman was far too acclimated with what a lout her brother in law was.

"What's brought you home this time David? Did you gamble away your yearly stipend again," Margaret asked strictly with her eyebrow artfully raised as if she was scolding a child.

"No, nothing of the likes. I've come home after the news of my daughter's marriage has spread like wildfire through England. I can't believe my own family didn't even tell me. But pray, how are you Rose. Why did you return to these estates? You're a married woman!"

"She came back because the poor girl's miserable." Margaret responded on her nieces behalf.

"Miserable? I'd say marriages were always like that but ... my dearest daughter, miserable..." David said with furrowed brows. "Do I need to speak with this son in law of mine to settle him straight?"

"Please father, it'd be best if you remain uninvolved." Moments like these, Rose wished for the most that the man was uninvolved completely. Stepping up as a proper father right now would do nothing to change the past twenty years of her life. She didn't want him to do anything, it would be best if he just packed his things and ran off like he always did.

"Leave the poor girl alone David, come along. We'll have some tea." And Rose watched as her aunt managed to drag her father from the room. Bless her sweet Aunt Margaret for always knowing how to handle situations.

She sighed, finally left alone with her thoughts. Staring down at her lap, she rested a hand on her abdomen. Her stomach was starting to protrude and her diet had increased significantly. She was starting to feel the kicks of the child within her and it surprised her every time. It was times like these she didn't know if it were proper to smile or cry. Rose was an emotional wreck and her life felt like it was in shambles. She was going to be a mother but she wasn't ready.

Sometimes she'd look at herself in the mirror, wondering when she had grown so old in the months that had passed. The rosiness in her cheeks had been subdued by the loss in her facial fat. Her features had gotten sharper. But her eyes, those grey eyes remained the same. They carried so much weight within them.

There were times that she dream up perfect scenarios. Perhaps she'd be rescued and professed love like the princes did in fairy tales. She'd conjure up a knight in shining armor riding a gallant steed who'd come to rescue her. And yet whenever she glanced at the scenery outside, it remained still as per usual. William didn't care about her. Well, she didn't care about him either. In other circumstances she would've asked for annulment but with a child ... it was near impossible. Sometimes, the poor girl would find herself weeping for her future and the babe. She wondered if her own mother had such thoughts when she bore Rose. Or perhaps the woman didn't care - maybe that was why she was disposed at her aunt and uncles. She never pried her father for answers but such a lingering question always remained in her head.

She counted the days, tallied the week that would fly by. She received letters from Charlotte urging her to return to the Cecil estates. Some were from Franny too. But there was never any news from the one person she wanted to hear it from. And so, she stood her ground. Rose was stubborn and she wouldn't return.

Though what shocked her was the fact that her father was staying longer than he usually did. And his involvement with Rose was far more than before. He'd question her as to why she didn't return home. Even boasted to injure her husband for his lack of proper etiquette. It was as if he was attempting to be a part of her life again. And Rose would not have it, irritated at his prying and questioning she'd lock herself in her room as much as possible.

"I will not see my precious Rose looking so upset!" David declared.

"And what are you going to do? Run to Rome this time?" Aunt Margaret said with a hand on her hip expecting nothing more from her brother in law.

"Now, now - perhaps David's solution will be Spain instead," Rose's Uncle chimed in with a smile.

"I will protect my daughter! I am a worthy father!" David rebutted.

Rose sighed, only slightly amused by her father's sincerity. Though the man had the right intentions, she was afraid that the means in which he'd execute them wouldn't be as successful as he hoped. Rather, he'd only add onto her burden and drive her insane. Rose Langford was exhausted by men. 

A/N: Just made it through another one of my weekly 10 hour days (I got 2 classes that are five hours each, life's great lol). Anyways, this is really important and I'd love for readers to give feedback but I'm thinking of trying to finish up posting Rose's story through the upcoming weeks. Let me know which day of the week you would most prefer receiving the next chapter installment. And as always, vote, comment (any other feedback which is much appreciated) and until next time!