Chapter Nine

Matthew sat at the Hufflepuff table in the Great Hall, his head propped up on his hand. A plate of bacon and eggs sat in front of the boy but he was too tired to eat, stabbing at the eggs with his fork and only eating a little bit. Cedric sat across from Matthew at the table, eating his own breakfast much faster. Hufflepuff had a quidditch practice this morning and Cedric had invited Matthew to come watch, since the younger boy didn't know much about the sport.

"You've gotta eat something, Matthew. Otherwise you'll be hungry for...six hours." Cedric said, doing the math in his head when the next meal was.

"I'm too tired." Matthew replied, moving his hand out from under his chin as his body slumped forward, his head resting on the table.

Cedric sighed. "What time is Tobias coming down?" The boy asked, wanting to head out onto the Quidditch Pitch for his practice.

"I don't know, he was getting ready when we left the Common Room." Matthew's voice was muffled by the wooden table.

As if on que, the boy with dark hair came walking into the Great Hall, and took a seat beside Matthew. The boy turned his head so that his cheek was on the table, and he was able to see his best friend.

"Toby! Good morning, and Happy Birthday!" Matthew sat up in his seat, a large smile spread across his face as he gained a boost of energy.

"Morning, and thank you." Toby smiled back at his friend.

"I didn't know today was your birthday, Toby. Happy Birthday." Cedric said with his own smile, briefly glancing at Matthew.

"Thanks, Cedric. I really only told Matthew. I don't wanna make a big deal out of it." Toby replied.

"Come on, your twelfth birthday is something to celebrate. Pretty soon you'll be old, like me." Cedric joked, taking a sip of water that was in the goblet in front of him.

Toby and Matthew both laughed at his comment. "You're only a year older than me." Toby pointed out. Cedric had his thirteenth birthday at the beginning of October.

"A year older and very late for Quidditch. Are you two ready to go?" Cedric asked as he set his goblet down. Matthew quickly shoveled some eggs into his mouth and grabbed the two pieces of bacon off his plate before standing up. Toby didn't want to hold Cedric up any longer so he just grabbed a muffin, before the three Hufflepuffs headed out of the Great Hall.

"Toby, you know a thing or two about Quidditch, right?" Cedric asked once the trio was outside in the cold November air. The older boy led the way to the Quidditch Pitch.

"A thing or two, yeah. More than Matt, that's for sure." Toby replied, chuckling as he elbowed his friend in the ribs.

"It's not my fault the only magical parent I have isn't interested in Quidditch." Matthew tried to defend himself, but all he got in response was Toby mocking his voice.

"Don't you have any other wizards or witches in your family?" Cedric asked. The two boys knew a bit about Matthew's family tree, that his father is a muggleborn and his mom's a muggle.

"The only one I know of is my younger cousin. I doubt she's into Quidditch though." Matthew replied. He hasn't seen his cousin in a while, but she would be starting at Hogwarts next year.

"She might be. You never know." Cedric said, briefly looking over his shoulder to smile at Matthew.

The boys made it to the Pitch, no longer discussing Matthew's family. Cedric said his goodbyes to the two younger Hufflepuffs before heading off to get changed into his Quidditch uniform. A few players were already dressed and on the field, so Cedric didn't have much time to get ready.

Tobias and Matthew made their way to the wooden bleachers so they could watch the practice. Cedric came running out onto the Pitch, his broom in one hand while he adjusted his jersey with the other. Even from how far away he was, Matthew could still tell that his cheeks were flushed and his blonde hair was a mess, signs that he had struggled to get ready so fast.

"Quidditch is actually pretty simple. There's not many things to remember, and the more you watch it, the more you'll understand it." Tobias didn't hesitate to launch into his lesson, sharing his knowledge on the sport with Matthew. "What position does Cedric play?"

"Uh, I think he said Seeker." Matthew replied, not knowing what that is.

"Ouu, okay! Well I'll talk about that one in a minute. Basically there's three Chasers, two Beaters, one Keeper, and a Seeker. The Chasers deal with the big red ball, the Quaffle, and have to try and get it through one of those three hoops." Tobias pointed out at the three hoops on the pitch, all of them a different height.

"Chasers get the Quaffle through a hoop. That sounds easy enough." Matthew repeated the information, slowly starting to understand.

"Ah, it sounds easy. But they have to get the Quaffle past the other team's Keeper." Tobias explained. "The Beaters have two Bludgers that they hit around with bats, keeping them away from their players."

Matthew's eyes widened slightly as he looked over at Tobias. "The Bludgers go after players? Isn't that dangerous?"

"The Beaters are good at their job." Tobias replied, chuckling softly at the blonde's concern.

Matthew still felt uneasy about the Bludgers, but wanted to hear more about Quidditch. "Okay, so what's a Seeker?"

"My favourite player on the team, and I think yours too." Tobias nudged Matthew gently, smiling as the boy's cheeks flared red, more red than they already were from the cold air.

"What is a Seeker?" Matthew repeated, ignoring Toby's comment. His eyes found Cedric on the Pitch, the players starting to fly into the air.

"The Seeker is responsible for ending the game. The first Seeker to catch the Golden Snitch earns a hundred and fifty points for their team, and ends the game." Tobias replied, trying to find the Snitch in the sky to show Matthew. The tiny golden ball was nearly impossible to see, especially from the bleachers.

"So, whoever catches the Snitch wins the match?" Matthew asked, looking over at Toby. His green eyes were squinting slightly as he looked out onto the Pitch.

"Not necessarily. There are times where the Chasers on one team score more points, even if the other team caught the Snitch. It doesn't happen often though. Every goal is worth ten points, so you'd have to score more than fifteen goals."

"So Cedric's got a pretty important job, right?" Matthew asked, finding the boy on the Pitch again. He hadn't moved a lot, and was probably looking for the Snitch.

"Every player has an important job, but yeah. Cedric's job is pretty important."