Memories of San Juan

Prologue:

Hand in hand, as always, they came closer to the sea shore and stopped a short distance away from the fierce waters.

  “The sun’s going behind and the night is gradually flowing in,” she said as she drew out her hand; closed one of her eyes and sketched lines of the sunrays passing between her fingers in her mind. “I wish day would have lived a bit longer. Then, I wouldn’t have to go home so soon.”

  “Things continue living as reverse pairs like man and woman therefore day must give way to the night,” he responded, aiming to tease her, and pulled her closer.

  When she freed herself from his clutch, she claimed out loudly, as she indicated the sun floating above the South Atlantic Ocean with her stretched arm, and swiveled in the small waves, sending splatters of water onto her white legs and dress, “Isn’t it simply beautiful Marcus? It could be the greatest making if you’d plainly notice how it stands there so proudly.”

   Watching her made him only wonder when he got so lucky.

  “No creation is greater than you, Melissa. You are the salt of the earth.”

  She stopped fooling around in the waves and stood still in bewilderment while excitement shivered across her spine for she was amazed at his talent of having no sweet words to lack. Remaining still, she examined him while he walked towards her and took her into his arms.

  “None,” he said again in a whisper.

  He grabbed her and ran in circles as they got themselves wetter each time they entered the water. Hearing her laugh let his spirits free into the air. Tickling and kissing her, he kept whirling themselves until they fell and landed on the moist ground.

  “Stay with me forever, Melissa,” he finally said.

   At once she lessened her jolliness enormously, now staring at his face that was only inches away from hers, with sadness tugging at her heartstrings. How I wish I could.

  “Is something wrong?” he queried, sensing the hesitation in her look.

  “No,” she said with a sound of assurance, “nothing is.” And with that, she snuggled into his arms in order to hide the forming tears in her now flaming eyes.