Chapter 47

They had about half an hour before school started.

Side-by-side, they walked on the long, paved path to school, like any other pair of early students. There seemed to be a hopeful break in the heavy clouds today, and the wind had become gentler. Ayano looked dead ahead, her expression as blank as usual, and Budo had already attached an automatic smile to his face as he strode forward. They passed by the school gates, and Budo gave a friendly little wave to the gym teacher on duty. She waved back. At first, her eyes looked at the cello case he was carrying, but, after a few seconds, her gaze moved to the next scatter of students behind them. Perfect.

They continued straight into the school.

The entrance, where all the lockers were lined up back-to-back, was completely empty. It was almost eerie, with the dark sunlight misting in from the open doors, into the shadowy reaches of the back of the room. They didn't say anything, instead they started to carry out the simple plan they had created earlier this morning.

Avoid people and take a detour to the incinerator as soon as possible.

The instrument case on Budo's back was heavier than he'd thought it'd be. The weight dragged down on him - especially on the straps. They felt as if they were biting down on his shoulders - but he kept his stomach and back muscles tight. This weight was nothing. In fact, he could hardly feel it when she was walking besides him.

He kept his eyes resolutely forward, knowing that he had to pay attention to the plan they were busying carrying out. Even so, his ears listened to every click of her shoes against the floor of the passage. It was difficult to resist the temptation to just turn his head and stare at her - her steps echoed, in this empty hallway, in a way that made him feel as if she were all around him. It was a comforting feeling, but it only made him want more. He caught his mind drifting off to a familiar topic, and forced himself to concentrate. 

And then, under her breath, Ayano murmured, "The delinquents aren't here."

Budo blinked, realising that they were already standing before the incinerator. How had I not even noticed? His eyes glanced around and confirmed the truth of her words. "I told them to skip school today," he explained. "Since I still have Info-chan's phone."

"Then you've got a lot of power in your pocket," she commented. She looked thoughtful for a moment, but a second later that faded away to indifference. "It's fine. I don't want it anyway after everything that's happened. Just be careful."

"You don't need to worry about me." The fact that she'd spared a thought for him made him glow with happiness inside. He almost forgot that he was carrying a corpse on his back.

"Right."

Ayano stepped forward, then opened the metal doors to the incinerator. They released a sharp, piercing screech as she spread them apart, but she didn't hesitate. Budo nodded approvingly to himself. She was so confident, so brazen-

"I'll keep watch if you put in the body," she suggested, already walking to stand by the corner of the wall. Budo, sensing that Ayano wanted this to be done as soon as possible, turned to the now-opened latches of the incinerator. This would be no problem. He already had experience with burning bodies.

He got to work.

Thud. He slung the heavy cello case off his back and set it onto the floor. Click. He snapped open the mechanisms keeping the case shut. Pop. He opened the lid. Rustle. Quickly, he grabbed the black, plastic-bagged items inside. They were heavier than one would think - it was like holding bags of flour in each handy. He took a breath. Effortlessly, he tossed them into the machine before him and they disappeared into the darkness with a metallic thud.

His mind went blank as he just let his body do the work. In just a few seconds, the case was empty. But he had to be thorough, so Budo put his arms into the dark reaches of the machine and moved some rubbish on top of his plastic bags to camouflage them. He closed the doors. And then, he pressed the start-up button. Immediately, the machine blazed into life with a fearsome howl, then settled to a low, rumbling growl. His face was blasted with intense head blowing from it. Budo stepped back.

"The weapon?" Ayano questioned quietly. He turned his head and saw she was standing behind him, arms crossed. Her serious eyes were pinned onto him. What a lovey, fearsome look. 

"Also in the bags. In there." Budo nodded his head towards the machine billowing puffs of smoke into the air. The air coming from it tasted bitter. He wanted to leave before he got too many ash particles on his clothing. "I cleaned off any trace of fingerprints anyway last night, so don't worry."

"Let's go, then. I want us to split."

"Yeah, okay."

"Thank you."

Before Budo had the chance to look surprised, Ayano slipped away. He let her go, watching her disappear around the corner of the building. As soon as she'd left his sight, he felt emptier, as if a warm glow of an internal fire has been extinguished. What to do now? He slung the now empty cello case back onto his back.

He'd accomplished the hardest parts of his plan - Taro was out of the picture. He'd spent time with Ayano. She also owed him.

He had a few choices from this point:

He could continue the school year slowly building their relationship. The thought nearly made him laugh. He was hardly so patient. Like that was ever going to happen.

Maybe he should just ask her out on a date after school today? If he kept it casual, maybe she wouldn't think too much about it and just agree. Budo just wanted to date her already. It had already been a whole week. He better not screw it up.

Even if I do screw up everything with Ayano, I'll always have the back up plan.

The school bell began chiming, and Budo began hurrying to class. It had been decided.

He'd ask her out on a date by the end of the day.