6 - Risk and Reward

With my arms firmly crossed against my chest, I stand with Derek, both of us hatefully glaring at the two girls in front of us. Well, actually, I'm only glaring at one. Derek has a reason to hate both of them. I only have a reason to hate one of them. I could hate Lydia for bringing Peter brack from the dead, mainly because I just don't like him and will probably never trust him. I can't exactly hate Lydia for that.

   Personally, I don't see why I'm here. I was headed to my locker when Scott came out of nowhere and dragged me into this room with everyone else. I've already seen the bruise on both of their wrists. What's the big deal with it? 

   "I don't see anything." Derek looks up from the bruises to turn to Scott. He has a bit of an annoyed tone to his voice. A tone that I would not want to mess with too much.

   "Look again." Scott says in his usual calm voice. 

   Derek becomes fed up with everthing. "How is a bruise gonna tell me where Boyd and Erica are?" He looks up to glare right back at Allison, who just can't seem to look away from either of us. 

   "It's the same on both sides. Exactly the same." Scott points out.

   "It's nothing."

   "Pareidolia." Lydia speaks up with a forced smile. "Seeing patterns that aren't there."

   Everyone sort of glances at each other from her answer. Okay, and I thought I was smart sometimes. Lydia is clearer the smartest one here. 

   "It's a subset of apophenia." She explains to us, like all of us should know this. 

   Scott drops his voice a little more. "They're trying to help."

   "These two?" Derek points to Lydia, clearly annoyed. "This one, who used me to resurrect my psychotic Uncle. Thank you." Derek nods his head at Allison. "And this one, who shot about 30 arrows into me and my pack."

    "And, I almost died because of her a few times." I add, narrowing my eyes at the brunette. "I don't want help from her."

   "Okay, all right, now, come on." Stiles tries to calm everyone down, but Allison and I are still glaring at each other. "No one died, all right? Look, there may have been a little maiming, okay, a little mangling, but no death. That's what I call an important distinction." 

   "My mother died." 

   My eyes narrow slightly more. Does she not know why her mother died? "Your family's little honor code killed your mother. Not Derek. Learn who's fault it is before you go pointing fingers."

   Allison shakes her head. "That girl was looking for Scott. I'm here to help him, not either of you." 

   "You wanna help? Find something real." Derek says before heading for the door.

   I cast one more hatefully look over my shoulder as I follow Derek to the door. I don't want to be in the same room as her. She brings out a side in me I've never seen before. I hated my dad, but never in a million years would I talk to him like I just talked to Allison. I don't like her and she doesn't like me.

   "Derek..." Scott calls out. Both of us stop and turn around. "Give her a chance. Okay, they're on our side now." 

   Derek leans forward, grabbing ahold of my wrist. Well then maybe you should tell her what her mother was actually trying to do that night."

   We storm out of the room in to the slightly busy hallway. I release an annoyed sigh I hadn't realized I was holding in. Why does Scott want to work with Allison so badly? Does he not remember everything she did? Or how she nearly killed me the night we saved Jackson? If I wasn't a hybrid, I would have died that night. Allison didn't and still doesn't care. She probably wished I was dead.