Chapter 1: The Night Shift

Start from the beginning

"Damn, those are worse than the photos I got." (F/N) peaked over your cubicle wall, coffee cup in hand "What do you think happened out there?"

"I have no idea, Cole said...hang on, do you see that?"

"What, what are you looking at?"

"That, on the edge of the platform." You drug through your desk drawer and pulled out a magnifying glass. You carefully adjusted the lens to reveal what looked like claw marks in some of the scraps of metal "You see that too right, something was out there when the rocket exploded."

"That's what posed my question, and why I'm not going out there."

"Oh no no no, I am not going to that lab by myself. Besides, someone else is going to investigate the launch pad anyway. You and I are going to be inside."

"Inside, outside, I don't care. I had a friend that was an intern there, and on the night of that disaster he left with a broken arm. I asked him countless times about what happened but he refuses to tell me. Doesn't that scream suspicious to you?"

"Or maybe there was a lab accident elsewhere, did you ever think about it like that?" They rolled their eyes as you continued to look at the photos "Can't I have one night without your attitude? ...Hm, this one has a memo."

6 containment units were retrieved from the laboratory today

They appear to be from the last recorded shuttle mission

It's concerning that only 4 of these strange specimens were found dead

"Hold on, what was that last part?" (F/N) yanked the Post-it from the paper, almost taking the whole thing with it "Oh hell no."

"(F/N) don't start..."

"Hell. To. The no. Whatever those things are, 2 of them are missing. For all we know these things are killer aliens!"

"Aliens that could be contained in a glass thermos?" You joked, snatching the memo from their hand.

"You can joke all you want, in the meantime I'll be tracking our progress safely in the car." You closed the file with an annoyed sigh.

"Tell you what, you do your job tonight without any complaining or whining, I'll treat you to breakfast tomorrow."

"My choice?"

"Your choice, even if it's that vegan place I don't like." You added to make them laugh.

"Then you, my friend, have a deal. But if there's any gore you'll owe me dinner too." You both laughed as you proceeded with your closing routine.

"OK fair enough, now let's get going. My suit is already in the trunk, where's yours?" You noticed their sudden pause. "If you left it somewhere I swear to God (F/N)..."

"No mom, it's in my locker. Do we really need them though?" They whined as you crossed your arms, a displeased expression on your face "Seriously, you're gonna give me that look? We're only investigating (Y/N), they're so baggy and—"

"And during a job like this it's best to be safe. Do I dare bring up the bacteria incident from 2015?"

"Here we go again." Your friend stormed off with a groan. You were quick to follow as you grabbed your keys.

"Don't 'here we go again' me, you freaked the hell out when that droid ripped your suit. Your leg got infected for a week and the medic said—"

"'If it wasn't for this suit you would have died on the way to the hospital'." You both said simultaneously. A victorious grin spread on your face as they looked at you in defeat.