Chapter 2: The Day Trip

It was only when Beth had left the cafe that her thoughts finally caught up with her. Millions of thoughts swarmed through her mind.

Maybe I told him.

Maybe he saw me outside the hostel.

Maybe he saw it on my phone.

Maybe he guessed.

Either way it had unnerved her. Regardless, she would not let a mysterious stranger she met on a plane ruin her holiday. She would however, let a beautiful stranger she met in a museum enhance her life.

She pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket.

Call me, 07700 900983- Camille.

No sooner had she texted the number did she get a reply.

-What are you doing tomorrow afternoon?- Camille's response brought a smile to Beth's face and made her forget Peter's words, if only for a few seconds.

-I thought I'd just wing it.- It was true. Beth had planned very little of her holiday. She opted for a more free approach.

-Excellent, meet me at Calle Gonzales Prada 280, Miraflores. 10am-

Beth laughed to herself. This holiday really was going to be the death of her. She decided to not waste her afternoon. There was a bus leaving to San Isidro in a few minutes.

Canopies towered above the girl. 1674 olive trees lined the park and the roads she walked. It was like stepping into a fairytale. One with magic, forests, trees and maybe some breadcrumbs. She certainly felt that when she came to a clearing with a huge library.

In that moment to seemed to Beth as if nature truly held the world's secrets.

Continuing on, she came across another cleating. This one had a pool of water. It almost seemed depthless. It was beautiful, terrifying, magical and dangerous all at once.

This was the El Olivar Forest. And words cannot capture its essence. It almost felt like the trees had personalities, a life source. The air buzzed with it.

There was an empty bench near the water edge, where Beth sat. Sitting there she hadn't even noticed her sketch the trees in the borders of an already full notebook. Once she finally did notice, she replaced the notebook with a new book.

This one was almost familiar to here

Peter's book.

In this forest she felt at peace. Excited even. And so, she opened the book and read.

............

Mama Quilla was the Goddess of the moon but it was her husband who ruled the sun. Inti the all powerful.

His bouts of anger were enough to cripple a kingdom. He blocks the sun and denies the Earth all daylight and sunshine. It was only through necessary and honoured sacrifices would he return his gift of light.

He was loved and treasured because he aided the people to become powerful and to flourish. He instructed Manoc Capac to start the Inca empire. This formed a divine link between the Gods and the rulers allowing them to be the spokesperson for the wishes of the Gods.

The people relied on him for guidance and for life. It was the sun he gave them that allowed food to grow so that their lives could continue. They loved him for it.

A grand temple was built in honour of him. Rituals to please the god were carried out by the most innocent young virgin girls. The worship did not stop here. The sun was connected to the Earth by the tallest, most grand mountains. Machu Picchu. It protected earth during solstices.